[Synoptic-L] Pierre-Antoine Bernheim ?

  • Emmanuel Fritsch
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14, 2004
      (I apologize for cross-posting)

      Some weeks ago, we have seen here, in France (and Germany : Arte is a
      common French-German program), a great TV report about beginnings of
      Christianism. More than twenty scholars -christian and jewish- were
      interviewed by a pair of journalists, who had yet leaded a similar
      report on Jesus some years ago. They also wrote books.

      The global message of those journalists is that christianism is
      antisemit from the beginning. Responsability of jews in first christian
      prosecution are systematically elluded (for instance : when a witness
      speaks about jews annoying christians, the authors translate : jews
      annoying judeo-christians - the treatment of Etienne's martyrdom is
      close to contorsionism).

      The report has bean a quite impressive success for such a kind of
      entertainment. It has been applauded as an "antidote" of Gibson's film
      that french TV and papers have massively described as an antisemite film.

      Some interviewed scholars are famous, and some less, but one looks
      particularly strange. His name is : Pierre-Antoine Bernheim. His
      accreditations : "Noésis fondation" and "Cercle Voltaire de l'Ecole
      Biblique hors-les-murs". He is said to work in London.

      Have you ever heard abour him ? Have you ever heard about both instituts ?
      read a book of him ? Or a review of one of his books ? He published :
      "James,
      Brother of Jesus" - SCM Press, 1997.

      Thanks in advance for all information you may have.

      Emmanuel.

      PS : If you read french and are interested by that story, you may find the
      presentation of the report :
      http://www.arte-tv.com/fr/search__results/388080.html

      and all interviewed scholars :
      http://www.arte-tv.com/fr/histoire-societe/origine-christianisme/
      Programme_2C_20auteurs_2C_20chercheurs/388050,CmC=388082.html

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 14, 2004
        Emmanuel,

        I have a paragraph in a review of his book from 1998:

        Another key first century figure is the subject of Pierre-Antoine
        Bernheim's James, Brother of Jesus, a fine antidote to the recent
        excesses of Eisenmann (to whom Bernheim never refers). Bernheim's
        study, translated from the French by John Bowden, is balanced,
        carefully researched and lucidly presented. Its scope, too, is broad.
        There is a fine chapter on first century Judaism (Chapter 3, 'What is
        a Jew?') and there are studies of the historical Jesus (Chapter 5, 'A
        Famous Brother'), Paul's letters and Acts (Chapters 6-8) and the
        epistle of James (Chapter 9). In a way, the scope of the book makes
        its author's point forcefully, that this is a figure not only worthy
        of study in his own right but also essential for anyone attempting to
        understand Christian origins.
        http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre/REVNT2.HTM#Bernheim

        Mark