Re: [Synoptic-L] re: Jesus' Baptism

  • Chuck Jones
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
      Jim,

      I can think of two reasons the baptism of Jesus would
      be included in the tradition.

      First, that it happened. The very fact that it is
      inexplicable and embarrassing to later Christianity
      would argue strongly for its historicity.

      Second, and quite the opposite, when there was no
      physical Jesus to physically follow around, the Way
      co-opted from John's followers baptism as an
      initiation rite--so you could tell who was in and who
      was out. The story of Jesus' baptism was created to
      add weight to the rite.

      I personally believe the first scenario. I believe
      that Jesus was for a while a follower of John.

      Chuck Jones