Re: [Synoptic-L] Some on-line items of interest - Farrer

    Message 1 of 13 , May 25, 2004
      In a message dated 5/25/2004 8:09:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time, k.hanhart@... writes:

      << Surely the odd, original, but un-Greek "epetheken onoma toi Simoni...: Petron" in Mk 3,16 forced Matthew and John to improve the language. Mark's meaning is probably: "he charged
      Simon with being a (the) rock". >>

      Karel, I have numerous questions that emanate from your lengthy post, but perhaps I should refrain from posing them till I have read your book. In the meantime, I would like to highlight the oddity of your argument's premise, which is that John and the author(s) of an early Christian creed were dutifully recording the correct order of the Synoptic Gospels through coded (not to mention chronologically inverted) allusions at roughly the same time that an almost universal tradition was developing in the church that emphatically asserted the priority of Matthew as the first written Gospel. I find this odd in the extreme. With regard to the above citation from the end of your post, could you explain to me what is wrong with the Greek of the cited Markan phrase? I have never had any particular difficulty understanding the phrase, or its syntax, and it reads to me like a good essential summary of the story in Matt 16 which Mark will later omit. Mark is not interested in the issue of legitimation of an authority in the (Jewish)Christian community with which that Matthean source-text deals. (You see I am far from conversion on this topic.)

      Leonard Maluf
      Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
      Weston, MA
    • Joseph Weaks
      Message 2 of 13 , May 25, 2004
        Karel Hanhart wrote:
        > I am fully aware that my proposal is almost too good to be true. Proof
        > is hard to come by in these matters and every theory is bound to have
        > a rebuttal. However, you are too quick in your dismissal, it seems to
        > me.

        Karel,
        Thanks for sharing the "gist" of your arguments here. It's nice food
        for thought. Some of the arguments do look more like chaos
        theory/coincidence that authorial craft, mostly because of the
        assumptions it makes. For instance:

        > However, the surprising composition of the first prayer
        > in the Didache, convinced me that the key terms in the Creed were
        > citations of key terms in the various canonical writings.
        > If true the Creed would so to speak favour the
        > Farrer theory concerning the Gospels in ascending order: (John) '
        > only-begotten' ; (Luke): conceived of 'the HOLY SPIRIT'; (Matthew)
        > born of
        > the 'VIRGIN Mary', (Mark) 'suffered under PONTIUS PILATE'. Perhaps we
        > should pursue this string, (1 Corinthians) raised ON THE THIRD DAY etc.

        Really? These seem to you substantially clear references to those
        gospels? And what do you mean by surprising? It is suprised that the
        Didache has a prayer? or surprising that you were convinced? or
        surprising that it gave a mini-credo? or surprising that you were able
        interpret the references as uniquely identified with the 4 canonicals?

        Perhaps you give a fuller account of your jumps elsewhere, but what
        seems obvious to you is less than so to me.
        > Nathanael is of course a surprisingly unknown, but important disciple
        > in John.
        I have no idea what this means. With the possible exception of Peter,
        they're all unknown.

        > The famous last chapter 21 is not a later appendix. It has rightly
        > been characterized as a kind of allegorical
        > representation of the book of Acts
        This premise is not very sustainable. (Reminds me of Crossan's biggest
        weakpoints: "Yes, Text A is early and Text B is late because it makes
        sense to me. Now that I've established that stratification, let us
        proceed."

        > If the above be true, is then the earlier paragraph in John ahead of
        > Nathanael (1,40 - 42) a reflection on Mark? That certainly would be
        > the case.
        Really? "Certainly?" One does not naturally follow the other. I just
        don't see how we can assert the same kind of theological word groupings
        to these ancient authors that we use in our own methodologies. At the
        least, we need to really try and make that case. (ie. using son of man
        to identify with a text, examples of such allusion in Revelation).

        Still, I applaud every continued attempt at inter-textuality between
        texts such as Didache, Shepherd, etc, with the canonical texts. Instead
        of a building block for a Farrer thesis, perhaps your ideas serve more
        of a supporting role.

        Fantastischliche,
        Joe Weaks

        Rev. Joseph A. Weaks
        Senior Minister, Bethany Christian Church, Dallas
        Leander Keck Fellow of NT Studies, Brite Divinity School, Ft. Worth
        j.weaks@...
      • Karel Hanhart
        Message 3 of 13 , May 28, 2004
          Read my book, therefore, Leonard. I am particularly interested in questions
          of detail of my argumentation. I mean, one should not turn at once to my
          tentative conclusion e.g. on the identity of Arimathea or the neaniskos in
          the tomb and shoot it down. Far more important is the calendar question I
          mentioned to BobMacDonald or my solution to the phenomenon of Judas and
          Andrew in the structure of the Gospel of Mark.

          cordially,

          Karel

          > In a message dated 5/25/2004 8:09:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          k.hanhart@... writes:

          > << Surely the odd, original, but un-Greek "epetheken onoma toi Simoni...:
          Petron" in Mk 3,16 forced Matthew and John to improve the language. Mark's
          meaning is probably: "he charged
          > Simon with being a (the) rock". >>
          >
          > Karel, I have numerous questions that emanate from your lengthy post, but
          perhaps I should refrain from posing them till I have read your book. In the
          meantime, I would like to highlight the oddity of your argument's premise,
          which is that John and the author(s) of an early Christian creed were
          dutifully recording the correct order of the Synoptic Gospels through coded
          (not to mention chronologically inverted) allusions at roughly the same time
          that an almost universal tradition was developing in the church that
          emphatically asserted the priority of Matthew as the first written Gospel. I
          find this odd in the extreme. With regard to the above citation from the end
          of your post, could you explain to me what is wrong with the Greek of the
          cited Markan phrase? I have never had any particular difficulty
          understanding the phrase, or its syntax, and it reads to me like a good
          essential summary of the story in Matt 16 which Mark will later omit. Mark
          is not interested in the issue of legitimation of an authority in the
          (Jewish)Christian community with which that Matthean source-text deals. (You
          see I am far from conversion on this topic.)

          > Leonard Maluf
          > Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
          > Weston, MA
          >
          > K)¦Ø,zz-z§ÿÃjfºO.ê¢ ³)¦Ø"¸´ìz´zS?ÂÂwniË

        • Karel Hanhart
          Message 4 of 13 , May 28, 2004
            > In a message dated 5/25/2004 8:09:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            k.hanhart@... writes:

            > << Surely the odd, original, but un-Greek "epetheken onoma toi Simoni...:
            Petron" in Mk 3,16 forced Matthew and John to improve the language. Mark's
            meaning is probably: "he charged
            > Simon with being a (the) rock". >>
            >
            > Karel, I have numerous questions that emanate from your lengthy post, but
            perhaps I should refrain from posing them till I have read your book. In the
            meantime, I would like to highlight the oddity of your argument's premise,
            which is that John and the author(s) of an early Christian creed were
            dutifully recording the correct order of the Synoptic Gospels through coded
            (not to mention chronologically inverted) allusions at roughly the same time
            that an almost universal tradition was developing in the church that
            emphatically asserted the priority of Matthew as the first written Gospel. I
            find this odd in the extreme.

            Leonard, I, for one, find it odd that you appear to be unacquainted with the
            first century method of referring to passages in Tenach. This is always done
            through key terms. If Mark, for instance, writes "when you see to 'dbelugma
            tes eremoseos'" (13,14) his readers knew he was citing Dan 9,27.
            First century authors didnot have footnotes or notes in the margin but their
            audience or at least - in the case of the ecclesia -, the presbyter would be
            in a position to explain the text in the light of Daniel.
            This practice was essential because communication was very expansive at the
            time.
            Finally, the practice that the early ecclesia's notified each other of what
            documents were "received", i.e. approved, by them, is well known Hence my
            conclusion that the Creed originally was a booklist of received documents.

            What do you think of my comment: 'epetheken onoma toi Simoni'?

            cordially,

            Karel

            With regard to the above citation from the end of your post, could you
            explain to me what is wrong with the Greek of the cited Markan phrase? I
            have never had any particular difficulty understanding the phrase, or its
            syntax, and it reads to me like a good essential summary of the story in
            Matt 16 which Mark will later omit. Mark is not interested in the issue of
            legitimation of an authority in the (Jewish)Christian community with which
            that Matthean source-text deals. (You see I am far from conversion on this
            topic.)

            > Leonard Maluf
            > Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
            > Weston, MA

          • Karel Hanhart
            Message 5 of 13 , May 28, 2004
              > > I am fully aware that my proposal is almost too good to be true. Proof
              > > is hard to come by in these matters and every theory is bound to have
              > > a rebuttal. However, you are too quick in your dismissal, it seems to
              > > me.
              >
              > Karel,
              > Thanks for sharing the "gist" of your arguments here. It's nice food
              > for thought. Some of the arguments do look more like chaos
              > theory/coincidence that authorial craft, mostly because of the
              > assumptions it makes. For instance:
              >
              > > However, the surprising composition of the first prayer
              > > in the Didache, convinced me that the key terms in the Creed were
              > > citations of key terms in the various canonical writings.
              > > If true the Creed would so to speak favour the
              > > Farrer theory concerning the Gospels in ascending order: (John) '
              > > only-begotten' ; (Luke): conceived of 'the HOLY SPIRIT'; (Matthew)
              > > born of
              > > the 'VIRGIN Mary', (Mark) 'suffered under PONTIUS PILATE'. Perhaps we
              > > should pursue this string, (1 Corinthians) raised ON THE THIRD DAY etc.
              >
              > Really? These seem to you substantially clear references to those
              > gospels? And what do you mean by surprising?

              Joseph,

              Why the ironic tone of of writing? Didn´t I observe that it was almost too
              good to be true and that proof in these matters is hard to come by?
              My surprise was aroused after I had checked all canonical writings but had
              not found the combination in them of `Father´ ´almighty´ and ´creator´ in
              one verse. We call such a combination a hapax. So the force of my theory was
              diminished, because I did not find the combination in any canonical writing.
              Finally, I decided to check the Didache little expecting that I would find
              confirmation there. But the unexpected occurred. The opening of the prayer
              in the Didache did contain the three elements.
              What is more, it does make sense that the opening statement in the
              Apostle´s Creed (book list) would refer precisely to the Didache. For Luke
              in his Acts makes mention of several authors who wrote before him, but does
              not mention any one of them by name. But he does state that the first
              christian did persevere in the ´didache ton apostolon´. Apparently, the
              Didache was so well known and so much accepted by all, that he could mention
              the book by name.

              > Perhaps you give a fuller account of your jumps ( again the irony KH)
              elsewhere, but what
              > seems obvious to you is less than so to me.

              > Nathanael is of course a surprisingly unknown, but important disciple
              > in John.
              > I have no idea what this means. With the possible exception of Peter,
              > they're all unknown.

              Philip and Andrew are among the twelve, Joseph, the three are known,
              Nathanael is the only exception. Also Matthew was among the twelve, which
              John (with an innuendo) translated in the sacred tongue, Hebrew, ´Nathanael´
              .

              > > The famous last chapter 21 is not a later appendix. It has rightly
              > > been characterized as a kind of allegorical
              > > representation of the book of Acts This premise is not very
              sustainable. (Reminds me of Crossan's biggest weakpoints: "Yes, Text A is
              early and Text B is late because it makes
              > sense to me. Now that I've established that stratification, let us
              > proceed."

              This was not my idea, but of a famous British commentator, whose name I
              cannot locate at the moment. John prefers Luke, as has been observed by
              others. Is it so strange that John after having told the passion story,
              would begin a final chapter with ´after that Jesus revealed himself anew´
              and continue his account with one great fishing expedition ( the 153 fish
              representing the nations of the world). Just as in Acts two disciples
              ´fishing for people´ play in it a major role, Peter and the Beloved
              Disciple. As Ray Brown and others rightly observed / there appears to be
              rivalry in this chapter between the two disciples, but Peter is the
              acknowledged leader.
              Now taking into account that John wrote his gospel last of the four and that
              he represented the ecclesiae of Asia Minor and taking into account that a)
              the ecclesia of Rome was accredited by most ecclesiae a leading role as
              prima inter pares but b) that Asia Minor long resisted this, the notion that
              John in the fourth gospel wrote as it were a summary of the acts of the
              apostles and did accredit Peter with being Shepherd of the sheep, has a
              degree of probability.It at least explains the strange ending of the Gospel.
              Chapter 21 is not an appendix as Bultmann wanted.
              I am writing this as a protestant, but it does make good sense. In fact,
              history shows both the
              demurral and acceptance by the Eastern church of the primacy of Rome.

              > > If the above be true, is then the earlier paragraph in John ahead of
              > > Nathanael (1,40 - 42) a reflection on Mark? That certainly would be
              > > the case.
              > Really? "Certainly?"

              Granted ´cerainly´ is not the right adverb.

              > Still, I applaud every continued attempt at inter-textuality between
              > texts such as Didache, Shepherd, etc, with the canonical texts. Instead
              > of a building block for a Farrer thesis, perhaps your ideas serve more
              > of a supporting role.

              > Fantastischliche,

              Joe, all exegetes speculate / no one is able to offer certain proof. Irony
              is a weak weapon in these matters. Even those who mantain that Jesus
              actually walked on water, are making a phantastic statement. They speculate
              that the authors of the Gospel were reporting facts in the manner of a
              modern journalist. Why accuse a colleague of phantasy?

              cordially,

              Karel

              > Rev. Joseph A. Weaks
              > Senior Minister, Bethany Christian Church, Dallas
              > Leander Keck Fellow of NT Studies, Brite Divinity School, Ft. Worth
              > j.weaks@...

            • Jeffrey B. Gibson
              Message 6 of 13 , May 28, 2004
                Karel Hanhart wrote:

                > Joseph,
                >
                > Why the ironic tone of of writing? Didn´t I observe that it was almost too
                > good to be true and that proof in these matters is hard to come by?
                > My surprise was aroused after I had checked all canonical writings but had
                > not found the combination in them of `Father´ ´almighty´ and ´creator´ in
                > one verse.

                Not canonical, but the combination appears in

                Philo Decal 51.6; Spec 3.189.5 Plutarch Platonicae quaestiones 1000.E.11
                Maximus Soph.Philosophumena 33.6.c.3.

                Jeffrey

                Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

                1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
                Chicago, IL 60626

                jgibson000@...

              • Jeffrey B. Gibson
                Message 7 of 13 , May 29, 2004
                  Karel Hanhart wrote:

                  > Thanks, Jeffrey. Would the reference to Philo diminish the strength of my
                  > argument in your opinion? Both Philo and the Didache couch their language
                  > in terms of Scripture.

                  I'm not sure, as I'm still trying to figure out just what your argument is.

                  Jeffrey
                  --

                  Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

                  1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
                  Chicago, IL 60626

                  jgibson000@...

                • Joseph Weaks
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 7, 2004
                    I understand that Burridge is doing a revised edition of his book.
                    Anyone have detailed info. I know he is updating the preface, but is
                    that it, or is there material enhancement to the text? Has he set out
                    to plug some of the holes? Release date? Suggestions where to find out
                    more info?

                    Thanks,
                    Joe

                    Rev. Joseph A. Weaks
                    Senior Minister, Bethany Christian Church, Dallas
                    Ph.D. (Cand.), Brite Divinity School, Ft. Worth
                    j.weaks@...
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 8, 2004
                      Yes, I've seen some of the new material in draft and it represents a
                      substantial revision, bringing the book up to date and engaging
                      developments and reactions that have emerged since the first edition.
                      It is apparently scheduled for release in September. See the Eerdmans
                      site at:

                      http://www.eerdmans.com/shop/product.asp?p_key=0802809715

                      What Are the Gospels?: A Comparison with Graeco-Roman Biography
                      Richard A. Burridge

                      $34.00 Paperback

                      Not yet in print (Expected ship date: 9/29/04)

                      revised edition; 380 pages; dimensions (in inches): 6.25 x 9.25

                      ISBN: 0-8028-0971-5

                      Foreword by Graham Stanton

                      Richard Burridge's highly acclaimed study of the Christian Gospels is
                      substantially updated and expanded in this revised edition. Here
                      Burridge engages the field of Gospel studies over the last hundred
                      years, arguing convincingly for viewing the Gospels as biographical
                      documents of the sort common throughout the Graeco-Roman world.

                      In pursuing the question of his book's title, Burridge compares the
                      work of the Christian evangelists with that of Graeco-Roman
                      biographers. Drawing on insights from literary theory, Burridge
                      demonstrates that the widespread view of the Gospels as unique is
                      false, and he discusses what a properly "biographical" perspective
                      means for Gospel interpretation. The book includes a long new chapter
                      detailing the recent paradigm shift in Gospel scholarship — a shift
                      due in large part to this very book — a new foreword by Graham
                      Stanton, and an appendix dealing with the absence of comparable early
                      Jewish biographies.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 8, 2004
                        I take it that the recent "paradigm shift" referred to below in
                        the press blurb is Bauckham et al.'s (which includes Burridge)
                        "Gospel for All Christians."

                        Burridge ably filled in for Bauckham in a SBL 2003 session on this
                        topic. As I recall, one of his points is that the gospels are a
                        form about biography, which means that they are about its subject
                        Jesus, not about the local community from which they originated.
                        It sounds like a basic point, but it is a helpful reminder when
                        reading someone's use of a gospel as a window into an early
                        Christian community.

                        Stephen Carlson