Re: [Synoptic-L] Editorial Fatigue in Matthew's double tradition

  • Joseph Weaks
    Message 1 of 8 , May 13, 2004
      On May 13, 2004, at 10:31 AM, Ken Olson wrote:
      > On May 12, Joseph Weaks posted:
      >>> In a Novum Testamentum article, 'Is it Possible to Dispense with Q?'
      >> (2003 no 4), Paul Foster re[ ]ut[ ]s Goodacre's recent work...
      >> [much snipped].
      >> Elsewhere in the article, Foster made some good (and stronger) points
      >> regarding Goodacre's work that I hope to see Mark respond to at some
      >> point.<<
      >
      > Joseph,
      > I'm a little confused by the word "refutes" in your first sentence. It
      > would seem to suggest that you were convinced by Foster's arguments
      > against
      > Mark Goodacre, which isn't the impression I gathered from the rest of
      > what
      > you wrote.

      Ken,
      I may have been holding the keyboard at a strange angle, but I think
      you simply were unable to read my handwriting. Yes, of course I was
      quite clear from the email that I was unconvinced by Foster's argument.
      I found nothing in his paper that was unanswerable, by even me. Perhaps
      I was just being kind. The only reason I brought up the article was
      because it was brought to my attention in private after my initial
      post. I would be happy to raise some of Foster's stronger points, under
      a different topic heading and on another day, as I have just arrived
      home from day one of my doctoral qualifying exams and my brain is a bit
      mushy at the moment.

      Speaking of which, GUESS what question I got... something like:

      "While the Two-Source Hypothesis enjoys a consensus amount NT scholars,
      is it possible that we find ourselves in a state of reevaluation? Give
      the evidence in support of the the 2SH with examples and then describe
      the alternatives which present the best challenge (or do I mean
      refutation ;) Finally, in your evaluation, what are your assessments
      for the future in the field of the synoptic problem?"

      Well, it was worded betters... as I said... mush. However I was
      delighted to see the question among the others. In the closing section,
      Mark's name came up more than once, as did he good colleague Dr.
      Parker. Heck, if I could've remembered the page number, I probably
      should've put a portion in quotes. hehe

      Now, I hope I did equally as well in the question where I compared the
      literary genres of Lucian's Hermas and Shepherd of Demonax.

      Cheers,
      Joe
      Rev. Joseph A. Weaks
      Senior Minister, Bethany Christian Church, Dallas
      Leander Keck Fellow of NT Studies, Brite Divinity School, Ft. Worth
      j.weaks@...
      Message 2 of 8 , May 14, 2004
        In a message dated 5/13/2004 9:44:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time, j.weaks@... writes:

        > Finally, in your evaluation, what are your assessments
        > for the future in the field of the synoptic problem?"

        I hope you will display remarkable prescience by announcing that the Two Gospel Hypothesis will be the preferred Synoptic theory of the future.

        Leonard Maluf
        Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
        Weston, MA

      • Tim Reynolds
        Message 3 of 8 , May 14, 2004
          on 5/14/04 5:53 AM, Maluflen@... at Maluflen@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 5/13/2004 9:44:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time, j.weaks@...
          > writes:
          >
          >> Finally, in your evaluation, what are your assessments
          >> for the future in the field of the synoptic problem?"
          >
          > I hope you will display remarkable prescience by announcing that the Two
          > Gospel Hypothesis will be the preferred Synoptic theory of the future.
          >
          > Leonard Maluf
          > Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
          > Weston, MA

          Some list members are going to be embarrassed at the eventual recognition
          that the salient issue is not transmission direction but transmission mode.
          For newbies, v. "auditory piracy", Archives.

          Tim Reynolds
          Long Beach CA

        • Joseph Weaks
          Message 4 of 8 , May 14, 2004
            On May 14, 2004, at 7:53 AM, Maluflen@... wrote:
            > In a message dated 5/13/2004 9:44:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            > j.weaks@... writes:
            >> Finally, in your evaluation, what are your assessments
            >> for the future in the field of the synoptic problem?"
            >
            > I hope you will display remarkable prescience by announcing that the
            > Two Gospel Hypothesis will be the preferred Synoptic theory of the
            > future.

            You must not be familiar with D. C. Parker's work, in order to see
            where I was heading. The TGH received two sentences in my answer.

            But you should've heard my question on Job today... great God almighty
            I should've just walked away and cut my losses.

            Cheers,
            Joe