Re: [Synoptic-L] Crossan Lectures

    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2004
      In a message dated 5/3/2004 1:22:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Maluflen@... writes:

      Actually I quite enjoyed most of the third lecture, but I was absolutely blown away when Crosan quite suddenly announced that his talk was finished, without his having said a single word about (1) the resurrection narratives in the gospels; (2) resurrection terminology as used in any particular letter of Paul; or (3) even the resurrection of Jesus.

      In the interests of fairness, this may be a slight exaggeration. Shortly after writing this post yesterday, I did remember a brief allusion in Crossan's lecture to the idea that resurrection never would have been thought of in connection to a single individual in NT times, and that therefore the resurrection of Jesus had to entail a direct connection to the resurrection of all (Christians?). In this connection, Crossan did allude to Cor 15 and the concept of the resurrection of Jesus as "first fruits". I don't presently recall a specific reference to any other NT text, or to the Gospel resurrection narratives until the question and answer period. Dismissive remarks were made in the course of the lecture regarding resurrection appearances in general, which were meticulously distinguished from resurrection itself or from anything that could in any way corroborate resurrection. Resurrection appearances were blended conveniently into what was claimed to be a wider, in fact a universal phenomenon of loved ones being "seen" in dreams, visions, etc., following their deaths.

      Leonard Maluf
      Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
      Weston, MA