[Synoptic-L] Gospel of Thaddeus?

  • Dennis Sullivan
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2004
      Has anyone looked into this?

      http://www.acegroup.cc/~pburgess/thaddeus.html

      A quick reading indicates that it's a conflation of Matthew, Mark, and Luke,
      but there's more material that doesn't appear in the canonical gospels...

      I wonder if it's genuine, and if the proposed dating is realistic?

      Someone posted a question about it on the Jerusalem Perspective Forum.

      Dennis Sullivan
      Dayton, Ohio

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2004
        Dennis Sullivan <densull@...> wrote:
        >Has anyone looked into this?
        >
        >http://www.acegroup.cc/~pburgess/thaddeus.html
        >
        >A quick reading indicates that it's a conflation of Matthew, Mark, and Luke,
        >but there's more material that doesn't appear in the canonical gospels...
        >
        >I wonder if it's genuine, and if the proposed dating is realistic?
        >
        >Someone posted a question about it on the Jerusalem Perspective Forum.

        It's a fake, but not a fraud, since the true author at the beginning of
        the page admits that it was an academic exercise on his part:

        |A number of years back, I got interested in trying to put myself
        |"inside" the heads of the gospel writers. I also wanted to brush
        |the "sawdust of the classroom" off of what I'd learned in the field
        |of biblical studies.
        |
        |What follows is the result of my little exercise: an entire "early
        |second-century apocryphal gospel," complete with scholarly essays.
        |I omit the detailed tables of texual parallels, as well as the
        |approximately one-third of the Gospel of Thaddaeus which I also
        |wrote up in the "original" Greek...

        Even if we didn't have the author's own statement, it meets all the classic
        criteria for a fake:

        1. It too good to be true. It's an early text that includes parallels to
        Thomas, of which there is intense interest today, and other early texts
        only made public in the 20th century like Egerton and Secret Mark. The
        mention of a javelin instead of a hyssop at the crucifixion (25:49) and
        the hawser (a big rope) through the eye of a needle (18:26) are nice
        touches as they acknowledge modern conjectures.

        2. Its provenance is unverifiable. It is unearthed by some unknown
        Russian team supposedly around Edessa. However, due to UN restrictions
        (!) no manuscript of it was supposedly permitted out, nor photographs,
        nor even electronic copies of the manuscript. But Edessa is in Urfa,
        Turkey, where the UN has no jurisdiction, so the excuse for no MS is
        bogus. Not even the original Greek is supplied, but a King James-style
        translation.

        3. It contains anachronisms and other mistakes. For example, the idea
        that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute (3:1) is a tradition much later than
        its purported origin. Another late tradition is the veil of Berenice=Veronica
        (25:31). The names for Jesus's sisters (Deborah and Ruth) are out-of-place.
        The theology of the call in the text is Calvinistic (not surprising since the
        true author of the text is Presbyterian). That a Russian would translate a
        Greek text into King James-ese today is also a mistake.

        Stephen C. Carlson,
        mailto:scarlson@...