Re: [Synoptic-L] Luke's Ethnicity

  • Tim Reynolds
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2004
      Re: [Synoptic-L] Luke's Ethnicity on 3/7/04 8:13 PM, David Miller at milledm@... wrote:

      A majority of scholars maintain that the author of Luke-Acts was a Gentile Christian.  I am interested to find out names of those who argue that Luke was a Jew.  I am aware that Jacob Jervell holds this view, and Fran├žois Bovon suggests that Luke became a God-fearer at an early age.  I know there are others.  Who am I missing?    Off-list replies are fine.

      Thanks,

      David Miller
      Hamilton, ON

      We know no Hebrew parallel to Loukas -- John called Mark or Moishe called Marvin.

      Jew, gentile or godfearer, I think we can safely suppose that Luke was a Pauline convert.

      tim