[Synoptic-L] Luke's Ethnicity

  • David Miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2004
      A majority of scholars maintain that the author of Luke-Acts was a Gentile Christian.  I am interested to find out names of those who argue that Luke was a Jew.  I am aware that Jacob Jervell holds this view, and Fran├žois Bovon suggests that Luke became a God-fearer at an early age.  I know there are others.  Who am I missing?    Off-list replies are fine.

      Thanks,

      David Miller
      Hamilton, ON

    • Tim Reynolds
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2004
        Re: [Synoptic-L] Luke's Ethnicity on 3/7/04 8:13 PM, David Miller at milledm@... wrote:

        A majority of scholars maintain that the author of Luke-Acts was a Gentile Christian.  I am interested to find out names of those who argue that Luke was a Jew.  I am aware that Jacob Jervell holds this view, and Fran├žois Bovon suggests that Luke became a God-fearer at an early age.  I know there are others.  Who am I missing?    Off-list replies are fine.

        Thanks,

        David Miller
        Hamilton, ON

        We know no Hebrew parallel to Loukas -- John called Mark or Moishe called Marvin.

        Jew, gentile or godfearer, I think we can safely suppose that Luke was a Pauline convert.

        tim