Re: [Synoptic-L] Gospel archetypes

  • Ron Price
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 6, 2004
      Dave Gentile wrote:

      > What I mean is - suppose we have a version of Luke in front of us
      > (the original) with some blank bits at the bottom of some pages.

      Dave,

      In my opinion this is a wholly unrealistic scenario. If this version is
      supposed to be the archetype, then the author/scribe would have been crazy
      to leave such an open invitation to interpolation. If it is supposed to be a
      copy of the archetype with newly introduced blank bits, then as I indicated
      in my last posting, I can't see a plausible motivation for producing the
      copy in this peculiar format.

      Ron Price

      Derbyshire, UK

    • David Gentile
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 6, 2004

        > In my opinion this is a wholly unrealistic scenario. If this version is
        > supposed to be the archetype, then the author/scribe would have been crazy
        > to leave such an open invitation to interpolation. If it is supposed to be
        > copy of the archetype with newly introduced blank bits, then as I
        indicated
        > in my last posting, I can't see a plausible motivation for producing the
        > copy in this peculiar format.
        >
        > Ron Price

        Why produce it in that format? The scribe may have wanted the pages to be
        logical divisions. That is, he wanted each page to start at the beginning of
        a topic and not somewhere in the middle of a topic. I suppose, given the
        relatively high cost of the material, this would not have been done often,
        but it still strikes me as something that quite possibly could have been
        done.

        Dave Gentile
        Riverside, Illinois
        M.S. Physics