Re: [Synoptic-L] Gospel archetypes

  • dgentil@sears.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 5, 2004
      Ron,
      What I mean is - suppose we have a version of Luke in front of us
      (the original) with some blank bits at the bottom of some pages. If we are
      interested in adding some Matthian material to promote our own view, it
      seems quite natural to just find a bit of empty space that is approximately
      the right size for what we want to add, and then place it there.

      Ron: the interpolator would have to do a very
      good job in (a) simulating the original author's style and interests

      Dave: Not in this case. The interpolator is adding something from Matthew
      to Luke. The result is a section of Luke that has the Matthian style we
      see.

      Ron: (b)
      not allowing the extra text to interfere with the structure if the original
      was highly structured.

      Dave: If we are just talking about page sized structure, then the
      interpolator is actually helping to create that. If there is a larger
      thematic structure, the added text could interfere with that, but then
      again, the interpolator would not want to place the added text somewhere it
      very clearly did not fit thematically.

      Dave Gentile
      M.S. Physics, M.S. Finance
      Hoffman Estates, IL

    • Ron Price
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 6, 2004
        Dave Gentile wrote:

        > What I mean is - suppose we have a version of Luke in front of us
        > (the original) with some blank bits at the bottom of some pages.

        Dave,

        In my opinion this is a wholly unrealistic scenario. If this version is
        supposed to be the archetype, then the author/scribe would have been crazy
        to leave such an open invitation to interpolation. If it is supposed to be a
        copy of the archetype with newly introduced blank bits, then as I indicated
        in my last posting, I can't see a plausible motivation for producing the
        copy in this peculiar format.

        Ron Price

        Derbyshire, UK

      • David Gentile
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 6, 2004

          > In my opinion this is a wholly unrealistic scenario. If this version is
          > supposed to be the archetype, then the author/scribe would have been crazy
          > to leave such an open invitation to interpolation. If it is supposed to be
          > copy of the archetype with newly introduced blank bits, then as I
          indicated
          > in my last posting, I can't see a plausible motivation for producing the
          > copy in this peculiar format.
          >
          > Ron Price

          Why produce it in that format? The scribe may have wanted the pages to be
          logical divisions. That is, he wanted each page to start at the beginning of
          a topic and not somewhere in the middle of a topic. I suppose, given the
          relatively high cost of the material, this would not have been done often,
          but it still strikes me as something that quite possibly could have been
          done.

          Dave Gentile
          Riverside, Illinois
          M.S. Physics