Re: [Synoptic-L] Gospel archetypes

  • Ron Price
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 5 11:29 AM
      Dave Gentile wrote:

      > Ron,
      > O.K. let's assume that for Luke we can reconstruct a document that fits
      > nicely into page-sized divisions. How do we know that it represents the
      > original Luke?

      Dave,

      If the detailed structure which matches the page boundaries is
      sufficiently convincing (better than anything yet published?!), and the
      numerical match is sufficiently good, then we can be pretty sure that it
      isn't either a coincidence or a modern artificial construct.

      > Another scenario would be that the original of Luke is written on a scroll.
      > It gets copied into a codex, with logical divisions. Now each page starts
      > with a new topic, but the text may not always fill the page. That blank spot
      > at the bottom of the page would seem to be an open invitation <your text
      > here>. The result would be a version of Luke that has logical page-sized
      > divisions.

      Perhaps. But I don't see a strong enough motive. Why bother to adjust each
      section, when it would be much easier, if he thought it necessary, to add a
      filler at the end?

      If he did go to this trouble, the interpolator would have to do a very
      good job in (a) simulating the original author's style and interests and (b)
      not allowing the extra text to interfere with the structure if the original
      was highly structured. Any half page insertion by a stranger is likely to be
      repetitive, idiosyncratic, or a mismatch with the section's theme. Besides,
      your scenario would involve interpolations at the majority of section
      boundaries, so the resulting text is even more likely to end up in a mess.

      Ron Price

      Derbyshire, UK

    • dgentil@sears.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 5 12:13 PM
        Ron,
        What I mean is - suppose we have a version of Luke in front of us
        (the original) with some blank bits at the bottom of some pages. If we are
        interested in adding some Matthian material to promote our own view, it
        seems quite natural to just find a bit of empty space that is approximately
        the right size for what we want to add, and then place it there.

        Ron: the interpolator would have to do a very
        good job in (a) simulating the original author's style and interests

        Dave: Not in this case. The interpolator is adding something from Matthew
        to Luke. The result is a section of Luke that has the Matthian style we
        see.

        Ron: (b)
        not allowing the extra text to interfere with the structure if the original
        was highly structured.

        Dave: If we are just talking about page sized structure, then the
        interpolator is actually helping to create that. If there is a larger
        thematic structure, the added text could interfere with that, but then
        again, the interpolator would not want to place the added text somewhere it
        very clearly did not fit thematically.

        Dave Gentile
        M.S. Physics, M.S. Finance
        Hoffman Estates, IL

      • Ron Price
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 6 11:32 AM
          Dave Gentile wrote:

          > What I mean is - suppose we have a version of Luke in front of us
          > (the original) with some blank bits at the bottom of some pages.

          Dave,

          In my opinion this is a wholly unrealistic scenario. If this version is
          supposed to be the archetype, then the author/scribe would have been crazy
          to leave such an open invitation to interpolation. If it is supposed to be a
          copy of the archetype with newly introduced blank bits, then as I indicated
          in my last posting, I can't see a plausible motivation for producing the
          copy in this peculiar format.

          Ron Price

          Derbyshire, UK

        • David Gentile
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 6 1:38 PM

            > In my opinion this is a wholly unrealistic scenario. If this version is
            > supposed to be the archetype, then the author/scribe would have been crazy
            > to leave such an open invitation to interpolation. If it is supposed to be
            > copy of the archetype with newly introduced blank bits, then as I
            indicated
            > in my last posting, I can't see a plausible motivation for producing the
            > copy in this peculiar format.
            >
            > Ron Price

            Why produce it in that format? The scribe may have wanted the pages to be
            logical divisions. That is, he wanted each page to start at the beginning of
            a topic and not somewhere in the middle of a topic. I suppose, given the
            relatively high cost of the material, this would not have been done often,
            but it still strikes me as something that quite possibly could have been
            done.

            Dave Gentile
            Riverside, Illinois
            M.S. Physics