[Synoptic-L] crucifixion

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2004
      With all the recent discussion of the passion perhaps this essay:

      http://www.bsw.org/?l=71841&a=Ani02.html

      will be on interest to listers. The title of the essay is *The Crucifixion
      as Chaoskampf*

      Jim

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Dr Jim West
      Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
      http://biblical-studies.org -- Biblical Studies Resources
      http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com -- Biblical Studies Resources Weblog

      "Critics are like eunuchs. They know what is supposed to happen, but they
      can't do it themselves". Soren Kierkegaard

    • Daniel Gurtner
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2004

        Thanks for the interesting article, Jim. I have some points of contention with Rudman�s discussion of the temple veil. First, I think the rending of the veil is far from a depiction of chaos, let alone that �the powers of chaos are victorious�. We see this in Mark�s account with the veil being eschisthe, but particularly in the Matthean record, with all of the �divine passives�, it has been abundantly recognized that these depict the activity of God not succumbing to chaos but entirely in control of the events surrounding Christ�s death. Second, while I applaud Rudman�s oft-overlooked recognition of the association between heaven and the veil in Josephus, he confuses the veil as an element of creation (heavenly firmaments, recognized abundantly by the rabbis) with the act of creation. I think the veil is better seen, as a depiction of the heavenly firmaments (Gen 1.6), in an apocalyptic milieu where the splitting of the veil is associated with the splitting of heaven, a well recognized motif of apocalyptic thought and apparently picked up by Mark in his account of the splitting of the heavens (Mark 1:10) vis-�-vis the splitting of the veil (Mark 15:38). This, it seems, fits nicely with the centurion�s profession immediately following (Mark 15:39 ).

        Daniel M. Gurtner

        Jim West <jwest@...> wrote:
        With all the recent discussion of the passion perhaps this essay:

        http://www.bsw.org/?l=71841&a=Ani02.html

        will be on interest to listers. The title of the essay is *The Crucifixion
        as Chaoskampf*

        Jim

        +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Dr Jim West
        Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
        http://biblical-studies.org -- Biblical Studies Resources
        http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com -- Biblical Studies Resources Weblog

        "Critics are like eunuchs. They know what is supposed to happen, but they
        can't do it themselves". Soren Kierkegaard

        Daniel M. Gurtner
        Ph.D. (Candidate)
        St. Mary's College
        University of St. Andrews