Re: [Synoptic-L] mk 5:13//

  • Karel Hanhart
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 17, 2004
      Jim,

      As has been rightly argued, the name Legion in Mark 5,9 is a cryptic
      reference to
      the occupying force of a Roman legion. Matthew knew this full well . His
      ecclesia was probably a direct post-70 descendent of the mother ''ecclesia"
      in Jerusalem,
      and located in an area in which reference to Roman occupying forces was
      still dangerous.
      So Matthew eliminated both the name "Legion" and the "dischilioi" swine.
      Both Mark and Matthew are esoteric, written for the Christian Judean
      audience,
      in which the cryptic references could be interpreted by any local presbyter.
      Since Luke wrote still later and his audience was Hellenistic and more
      diffuse, he
      evidently did not take these precautionary measures. Luke wanted to give as
      accurate
      an account of his sources as possible.

      Karel

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 17, 2004
        Jim West a écrit:

        >Why do you think matthew and luke dropped out the number of swine that
        >rushed headlong into the sea? Why is it only Mark who has the number?

        Boismardian answer : because it is a second stage detail on proto-Mark.

        a+
        manu

      • Richard H. Anderson
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 17, 2004
          Jim,

          I believe that Martin Hengel, Studies in the Gospel of Mark (London: SCM
          Press Ltd, 1985 links Mark’s story of the Gerasene demoniac (5:1-20) with an
          account in The Jewish War (JW) of an armed conflict on the Lake of
          Gennesaret.

          Richard H. Anderson