Re: [Synoptic-L] Hebrew parables, #8, the reason

  • John C. Poirier
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 11, 2004
      Steve and Marc,

      Boxing matches only last fifteen rounds, right? ;)

      Randy and I went round and round on the significance of the Qumran Job
      Targum on the Jerusalem Perspective website. I stick by what I wrote
      there, which was not that we should suppose that there were a number of
      targums in the first century, but only that the paucity of targums at
      Qumran proves nothing one way or the other.

      Let me make clear that I'm fine with the absence of targums in the first
      century. In fact, it's probably to be expected given the probability
      that the synagogues were at that time controlled by priestly and/or
      scribal groups. For the centuries for which we know that targums *were*
      used in the synagogues, we also know that not everybody was happy about
      it. It is entirely in keeping with a "linguistic necessity" explanation
      for the targum to say that the practice of targumic reading could not be
      instituted within the synagogue until such a time that control of the
      synagogue came to be more in the hands of private (non-priestly,
      non-scribal) individuals or groups. In the century or so after the
      first revolt, it seems that *no one* was in control, which allowed the
      synagogue service to go in a more democratizing direction. It should
      also be noted that, given the power scramble that apparently went on at
      this time, concessions to popular piety would have been politically
      expedient.

      In point of fact, I also disagree with some of the ways in which
      targumic readings are used in NT studies: at least I disagree with the
      inference that NT anticipations of targumic readings demonstrate the
      earliness of the targum. More likely, these anticipations are better
      explained by recourse to alternative textual traditions of the biblical
      text (e.g., the *kaige*).

      John C. Poirier
      Middletown, Ohio