[Synoptic-L] RE: The Passion - harmonistic?

  • Wieland Willker
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2004
      > From my perspective (note the disclaimers above), the movie
      > is much less concerned with historical or scriptural accuracy
      > than it is with portraying the passion in as painful, brutal, and
      > emotionally affecting way possible. This is Gibson's' stated
      > goal. All other considerations (historical accuracy, scriptural
      > faithfulness, potential anti-Judaism, criticism of Vatican II,
      > etc. etc.), take second place.

      Ok, thanks for the enlightenment. I am only wondering why this botch
      then gets so much attention in scholarly circles.

      Best wishes
      Wieland
      <><
      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
      Textcritical commentary:

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9, 2004
        On 9 Feb 2004 at 8:50, Wieland Willker wrote:

        > Ok, thanks for the enlightenment. I am only wondering why this botch
        > then gets so much attention in scholarly circles.

        While not knowing whether it is a "botch" or not -- I haven't seen it
        yet -- I think that there are several reasons:

        (1) Some scholars are interested in the way in which the Gospels are
        adapted in film and fiction, partly because of the renewed interest
        in Wirkungsgeschichte and partly because the creative process of
        adaptation might shed light on the interpretative process. For
        investigations of Jesus (and other) films along such lines, I would
        recommend the books by Larry Kreitzer on the OT, the NT and Paul in
        fiction and film; I would also recommend these two articles by
        William Telford:

        Telford, W. R., "The New Testament in Fiction and Film: A Biblical
        Scholar's Perspective" in J. G. Davies, G. Harvey and W. Watson
        (eds.), Words Remembered, Texts Renewed. Essays in Honour of J. F. A.
        Sawyer, pp. 360-94. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press, 1995.

        Telford, W. R., "Jesus Christ Movie-Star: The Depiction of Jesus in
        the Cinema" in C. Marsh and G. Ortiz (eds.), Movies and Meaning.
        Explorations in Theology and Film, pp. 115-39. Oxford: Blackwell,
        1997

        (2) Interest in this particular Jesus film is accentuated among some
        scholars because of their involvement with the question of the
        depiction of Jews in the Passion Narrative. Paula Fredriksen in
        particular is worth mentioning here since she was on the so-called
        "ad hoc committee" that strongly criticized an early script of the
        film for its alleged anti-Semitism. So too is Amy-Jill Levine who
        was on the committee that composed that report. Both Levine and
        Fredriksen have been involved with discussion about the film as a
        result of that early and robust encounter with the script. And
        whatever one thinks about the way that that debate has developed,
        there is no question that the issue of the depiction of Jews in the
        Passion Narrative has been a hot topic in Gospel studies over the
        last generation. What this film has done is to push that debate back
        into centre stage.

        I would add, in relation to this point, that much of the controversy
        over the film could have been avoided if only Gibson had done what
        Garth Dabrinsky did on the recent Gospel of John (Visual Bible) film
        and employ a panel of expert consultants. Gibson claims that he has
        consulted hundreds of Biblical scholars, but what the film lacks is a
        panel of accountable, named historical consultants from a variety of
        scholarly and religious perspectives. The Gospel of John has managed
        to adapt that Gospel word-for-word without a whiff of controversy and
        I think that this is in no small part due to the likes of Peter
        Richardson, Adele Reinhartz, Alan Segal and co.

        (3) I suspect the film also excites attention among scholars because
        of its use of Latin and Aramaic. Of course Gibson had to use a
        scholar to do the translation (William Fulco of Loyola Marymount
        University).

        (4) If Biblical scholars had nothing to say about major cultural
        events like this, then that might be further evidence of a retreat
        into the ivory tower. Interest is generated much of the time simply
        because the media asks them for their opinion, and they rightly
        respond.

        That's the way I'd see it, anyway.
        Mark
        Graduate Institute for Theology and Religion
        Dept of Theology
        University of Birmingham
        Elmfield House, Selly Oak tel.: +44 121 414 7512
        Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax.: +44 121 415 8376

        http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
        http://NTGateway.com