Re: [Synoptic-L] The Passion - harmonistic?

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2004
      Actually, the official line is that "it was adapted from a composite
      account of The Passion assembled from the four Biblical gospels of
      Matthew, Mark, Luke and John" (The Passion of the Christ Official
      Movie Web Site, http://www.thepassionofthechrist.com). So in other
      words, yes, it is in the tradition of harmonistic Jesus films (the
      exceptions being Pasolini's The Gospel According to Matthew, Jesus
      (1979, based on Luke), the Visual Bible Matthew and the recent Visual
      Bible Gospel of John).

      The report Michael Matsko mentions -- that it is based on "The
      Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ," by Anne Catherine
      Emmerich -- was something that was often reported in earlier
      publicity (e.g. The Passion movie fan site at www.passion-movie.com),
      but it seems that Icon productions have now pulled back from this
      somewhat. Even that the fan site is now only saying that the book
      was one of the motivations for his desire to make the film and not
      that it was one of the film's sources. That early, leaked version of
      the script was heavily criticised for having been informed by this
      book with its alleged anti-Semitism, and I've seen very little
      mention of it subsequently -- and certainly nothing in any of the
      official materials.

      Mark
      -----------------------------
      Graduate Institute for Theology & Religion
      Dept of Theology
      University of Birmingham
      Elmfield House, Bristol Road tel.+44 121 414 7512
      Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376

      http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
      http://NTGateway.com

    • Arne Halbakken
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 8, 2004
        Randall Buth wrote,

        >when they could have had Greek and Hebrew,
        >they chose Latin and Aramaic.
        >not overly in touch with 1st century Jewish sources . . .

        There seem to have been "artistic theological" reasons for using
        Latin in "The Passion of Christ" instead of historical reasons.

        Here are some excerpts from an article by Terry Mattingly on 1/24/04
        <http://www.naplesnews.com/npdn/ne_religion/article/0,2071,NPDN_14935_
        2600433,00.html>.

        "It is crucial to realize that the images and language at the heart
        of 'The Passion of the Christ' flow directly out of Gibson's personal
        dedication to Catholicism in one of its most traditional and
        mysterious forms - the 16th-century Latin Mass.

        "'I don't go to any other services,' the director told the Eternal
        Word Television Network. 'I go to the old Tridentine Rite. That's the
        way that I first saw it when I was a kid. So I think that that
        informs one's understanding of how to transcend language. Now,
        initially, I didn't understand the Latin. ... But I understood the
        meaning and the message and what they were doing. I understood it
        very fully and it was very moving and emotional and efficacious, if I
        may say so.'

        "The goal of the movie is to shake modern audiences by brashly
        juxtaposing the 'sacrifice of the cross with the sacrifice of the
        altar - which is the same thing,' said Gibson. This ancient union of
        symbols and sounds has never lost its hold on him. There is, he
        stressed, 'a lot of power in these dead languages.'"

        Arne Halbakken