Re: [Synoptic-L] The Passion - harmonistic?

  • Michael Matsko
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2004
      Wieland, et. al.

      Actually it's based on "The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ," by Anne Catherine Emmerich, a German, Catholic "mystic, stigmatist and visionary" (from the back cover of the book) who lived from 1774 to 1824. This according to "The Passion" web site: www.passion-movie.com. At about 314 pages, suffice it to say, there is a bit more detail than is presented in the Gospels.
      She was born in Flamske in the bishopric of Munster, so you're probably closer to the source than we are in the states.

      Mike Matsko
      Rosslyn, VA

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 8, 2004
        shalom Hevre,

        since the subject of Gibson's movie has been raised, I wonder if the script
        is
        available anywhere?
        It sort of made us chuckle over here,
        when they could have had Greek and Hebrew,
        they chose Latin and Aramaic.
        not overly in touch with 1st century Jewish sources . . .
        --remember last month's challenge? not a single story parable except in
        Hebrew, but then we don't have many parables in the last 24 hours, do we?
        still there is some of the best midrashic repartee ever recorded in the
        high
        priestly trial--
        I would nevertheless be interested in both the Latin and the Aramaic.

        blessings

        Randall Buth
        Jerusalem
        www.biblicalulpan.org
        unique Texts and Land intermediate BH ulpan,
        20 June--9 July 2004

        <

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 8, 2004
          Actually, the official line is that "it was adapted from a composite
          account of The Passion assembled from the four Biblical gospels of
          Matthew, Mark, Luke and John" (The Passion of the Christ Official
          Movie Web Site, http://www.thepassionofthechrist.com). So in other
          words, yes, it is in the tradition of harmonistic Jesus films (the
          exceptions being Pasolini's The Gospel According to Matthew, Jesus
          (1979, based on Luke), the Visual Bible Matthew and the recent Visual
          Bible Gospel of John).

          The report Michael Matsko mentions -- that it is based on "The
          Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ," by Anne Catherine
          Emmerich -- was something that was often reported in earlier
          publicity (e.g. The Passion movie fan site at www.passion-movie.com),
          but it seems that Icon productions have now pulled back from this
          somewhat. Even that the fan site is now only saying that the book
          was one of the motivations for his desire to make the film and not
          that it was one of the film's sources. That early, leaked version of
          the script was heavily criticised for having been informed by this
          book with its alleged anti-Semitism, and I've seen very little
          mention of it subsequently -- and certainly nothing in any of the
          official materials.

          Mark
          -----------------------------
          Graduate Institute for Theology & Religion
          Dept of Theology
          University of Birmingham
          Elmfield House, Bristol Road tel.+44 121 414 7512
          Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376

          http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
          http://NTGateway.com

        • Arne Halbakken
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 8, 2004
            Randall Buth wrote,

            >when they could have had Greek and Hebrew,
            >they chose Latin and Aramaic.
            >not overly in touch with 1st century Jewish sources . . .

            There seem to have been "artistic theological" reasons for using
            Latin in "The Passion of Christ" instead of historical reasons.

            Here are some excerpts from an article by Terry Mattingly on 1/24/04
            <http://www.naplesnews.com/npdn/ne_religion/article/0,2071,NPDN_14935_
            2600433,00.html>.

            "It is crucial to realize that the images and language at the heart
            of 'The Passion of the Christ' flow directly out of Gibson's personal
            dedication to Catholicism in one of its most traditional and
            mysterious forms - the 16th-century Latin Mass.

            "'I don't go to any other services,' the director told the Eternal
            Word Television Network. 'I go to the old Tridentine Rite. That's the
            way that I first saw it when I was a kid. So I think that that
            informs one's understanding of how to transcend language. Now,
            initially, I didn't understand the Latin. ... But I understood the
            meaning and the message and what they were doing. I understood it
            very fully and it was very moving and emotional and efficacious, if I
            may say so.'

            "The goal of the movie is to shake modern audiences by brashly
            juxtaposing the 'sacrifice of the cross with the sacrifice of the
            altar - which is the same thing,' said Gibson. This ancient union of
            symbols and sounds has never lost its hold on him. There is, he
            stressed, 'a lot of power in these dead languages.'"

            Arne Halbakken