[Synoptic-L] The Passion - harmonistic?

  • Wieland Willker
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2004
      On what script is the film based? Is it following one Gospel or is it a
      harmonistic approach? If it's harmonistic, who did the harmonization?

      Best wishes
      Wieland
      <><
    • Michael Matsko
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 8, 2004
        Wieland, et. al.

        Actually it's based on "The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ," by Anne Catherine Emmerich, a German, Catholic "mystic, stigmatist and visionary" (from the back cover of the book) who lived from 1774 to 1824. This according to "The Passion" web site: www.passion-movie.com. At about 314 pages, suffice it to say, there is a bit more detail than is presented in the Gospels.
        She was born in Flamske in the bishopric of Munster, so you're probably closer to the source than we are in the states.

        Mike Matsko
        Rosslyn, VA

        > On what script is the film based? Is it following one Gospel or is
        > it a
        > harmonistic approach? If it's harmonistic, who did the harmonization?
        >
        > Best wishes
        > Wieland
        > <><

      • Randall Buth
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 8, 2004
          shalom Hevre,

          since the subject of Gibson's movie has been raised, I wonder if the script
          is
          available anywhere?
          It sort of made us chuckle over here,
          when they could have had Greek and Hebrew,
          they chose Latin and Aramaic.
          not overly in touch with 1st century Jewish sources . . .
          --remember last month's challenge? not a single story parable except in
          Hebrew, but then we don't have many parables in the last 24 hours, do we?
          still there is some of the best midrashic repartee ever recorded in the
          high
          priestly trial--
          I would nevertheless be interested in both the Latin and the Aramaic.

          blessings

          Randall Buth
          Jerusalem
          www.biblicalulpan.org
          unique Texts and Land intermediate BH ulpan,
          20 June--9 July 2004

          <

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 8, 2004
            Actually, the official line is that "it was adapted from a composite
            account of The Passion assembled from the four Biblical gospels of
            Matthew, Mark, Luke and John" (The Passion of the Christ Official
            Movie Web Site, http://www.thepassionofthechrist.com). So in other
            words, yes, it is in the tradition of harmonistic Jesus films (the
            exceptions being Pasolini's The Gospel According to Matthew, Jesus
            (1979, based on Luke), the Visual Bible Matthew and the recent Visual
            Bible Gospel of John).

            The report Michael Matsko mentions -- that it is based on "The
            Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ," by Anne Catherine
            Emmerich -- was something that was often reported in earlier
            publicity (e.g. The Passion movie fan site at www.passion-movie.com),
            but it seems that Icon productions have now pulled back from this
            somewhat. Even that the fan site is now only saying that the book
            was one of the motivations for his desire to make the film and not
            that it was one of the film's sources. That early, leaked version of
            the script was heavily criticised for having been informed by this
            book with its alleged anti-Semitism, and I've seen very little
            mention of it subsequently -- and certainly nothing in any of the
            official materials.

            Mark
            -----------------------------
            Graduate Institute for Theology & Religion
            Dept of Theology
            University of Birmingham
            Elmfield House, Bristol Road tel.+44 121 414 7512
            Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376

            http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
            http://NTGateway.com

          • Arne Halbakken
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 8, 2004
              Randall Buth wrote,

              >when they could have had Greek and Hebrew,
              >they chose Latin and Aramaic.
              >not overly in touch with 1st century Jewish sources . . .

              There seem to have been "artistic theological" reasons for using
              Latin in "The Passion of Christ" instead of historical reasons.

              Here are some excerpts from an article by Terry Mattingly on 1/24/04
              <http://www.naplesnews.com/npdn/ne_religion/article/0,2071,NPDN_14935_
              2600433,00.html>.

              "It is crucial to realize that the images and language at the heart
              of 'The Passion of the Christ' flow directly out of Gibson's personal
              dedication to Catholicism in one of its most traditional and
              mysterious forms - the 16th-century Latin Mass.

              "'I don't go to any other services,' the director told the Eternal
              Word Television Network. 'I go to the old Tridentine Rite. That's the
              way that I first saw it when I was a kid. So I think that that
              informs one's understanding of how to transcend language. Now,
              initially, I didn't understand the Latin. ... But I understood the
              meaning and the message and what they were doing. I understood it
              very fully and it was very moving and emotional and efficacious, if I
              may say so.'

              "The goal of the movie is to shake modern audiences by brashly
              juxtaposing the 'sacrifice of the cross with the sacrifice of the
              altar - which is the same thing,' said Gibson. This ancient union of
              symbols and sounds has never lost its hold on him. There is, he
              stressed, 'a lot of power in these dead languages.'"

              Arne Halbakken