Re: [Synoptic-L] Lk 14:23, 14:16-24

  • Randall Buth
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2004
      As someone seeing some of the exchanges I have a technical matter to
      add to the discussion on the parable in Luke 14:16-24.

      for APO MIAS in Luke 14:18, there is a Hebrew text at Qumran
      with this idiom. 4Q462 line 8 has me' eHad, literally "from one", meaning
      "immediately". Previously, the closest background for such an idiom came
      from Syriac, an Aramaic dialect quite far from the Land. The reason that
      the
      Qumran evidence is helpful is that all story parables in rabbinic
      literature
      were in Hebrew. 100% out of a few thousand examples. That is a little item
      frequently overlooked in NT background introductions. Anyway, it fits
      the parable in Luke 14 nicely.

      If someone observes that the Greek is feminine and the Hebrew masculine,
      that leads to further technicalities:
      In Greek the MIAS obviously tied to something feminine, perhaps WRA 'hour,
      slice of time', perhaps RIPH 'blink', or perhaps by analogy to another
      idiom
      (pe eHad 'unanimous' becomes APO MIAS FWNHS. If this is coming from
      translationese we won't be able to say definitively why a feminine was
      chosen.
      One item must always be placed in conjunction with other items to form a
      clearer picture.

      In general, translators smoothed out their texts. (I'm not saying Luke was
      the
      translator. On the contrary, someone else was, but he became Luke's source)
      For example, in Genesis the ubiquitous 'and' gets put in KAI too often for
      Greek
      sensitivities but around 2.4 times per sentence level KAI the translator
      jumps a
      hurdle and uses DE.
      Likewise, the ubiquitous Hebrew 'narrative simple past/aorist' gets
      smoothed
      into imperfects here and there. Hebrew was aspectually monotone (that is,
      it didn't normally take the extra energy to mark aspect, contrary to
      grammar
      books which would have you think that that is all they thought about) and
      Greek tweeked some of the edges but the un-greekness is still felt. Greek
      lives and breathes aspect, you can't say anything without making an
      aspectual choice so the LXX becomes rather flat Greek against those
      expectations.

      To repeat what needs repeating: the only responsible methodology for
      getting
      a handle on Luke's style is to compare Acts 15:36-28 with the gospel.

      As for Luke 14:16-24, I can't see it as coming from Matthew. As a support
      APO MIAS, the word ARXASTHAI 'to begin' is probably (75%) not Lucan but
      from a source. Luke's gospel is much heavier with ARXASTHAI than 2Acts.
      While 'begin' is from a source, it is not from Mark or Matthew. (It is not
      significantly part of the Hebrew Bible and LXX either, since the "begin"
      style
      grew within Hebrew during the 2nd Temple period after speakers became
      trilingual with the highly aspectual Greek. It was one way to lexically
      compensate for an aspectually-poor style.)

      blessings
      Randall Buth
      Biblical Language Center
      www.biblicalulpan.org