[Synoptic-L] Westcott

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2004
      I thought listers may like to know that born this day in 1825 was, Brooke
      Foss Westcott, near Birmingham, England. He was appointed the chair of
      Professor of Divinity at Cambridge. In 1881 he and F. J. A. Hort co-edited
      their famous critical text of the Greek New Testament, which has become the
      basis for many current translations. His learning extended beyond books, and
      he took a deep interest in settling industrial disputes with the coal miners
      of his diocese.

      Happy Birthday!

      Jim

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Dr Jim West
      Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
      http://biblical-studies.org -- Biblical Studies Resources
      http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com --- Biblical Theology Weblog

      Bad exegesis is no less worse than bad conduct.
      Tertullian, On Purity

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 12, 2004
        On 12 Jan 2004 at 8:03, Jim West wrote:

        > I thought listers may like to know that born this day in 1825 was,
        > Brooke Foss Westcott, near Birmingham, England.

        Nice to see the Birmingham link. Westcott went to King Edward VI
        School in Birmingham just down the road from where I am sitting now.
        He met J. B. Lightfoot there. Later in the century Bernard Pyne
        Grenfell also went to King Edward VI school where his father, John
        Granville Grenfell was master.

        Mark
        Graduate Institute for Theology and Religion
        Dept of Theology
        University of Birmingham
        Elmfield House, Selly Oak tel.: +44 121 414 7512
        Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax.: +44 121 415 8376

        http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
        http://NTGateway.com