Re: [Synoptic-L] *Ornatus* and the Synoptic Problem

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
      According to Ad Herennium 4.38.50 "deminutio"
      (diminutio) is the lessening of one's accomplishments
      as a form of modesty (pudica) in a text or speech in
      order to gain the admiration of the audience. This
      rhetorical form (figure of ethos)was one of two key
      types used by speakers or authors (the other being
      anamnesis) to establish authority with the audience.
      This is very different from a mere deliberate
      understatement by disproportionate characterization as
      a lesser nature or kind, which, in rhetoric is
      "meiosis". The opposite of this latter form is
      overstatement or "hyperbole".

      > > Litotes is a rhetorical device of understatement
      > used in some languages
      > > in which a positive statement is intended by
      > stating the opposite of
      > > its negative, for example, saying "not many" for
      > the meaning "a few".
      > > Therefore my examples are valid.

      John N. Lupia, III
      Toms River New Jersey 08757 USA