RE: [Synoptic-L] *Ornatus* and the Synoptic Problem

  • Richard H. Anderson
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
      John C. Poirier
      From my understanding of litotes, these are not examples: they are all
      intended literally.

      Litotes is a rhetorical device of understatement used in some languages
      in which a positive statement is intended by stating the opposite of
      its negative, for example, saying "not many" for the meaning "a few".
      Therefore my examples are valid.

      Richard H. Anderson

    • John C. Poirier
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
        Richard H. Anderson wrote:

        >Litotes is a rhetorical device of understatement used in some languages
        >in which a positive statement is intended by stating the opposite of
        >its negative, for example, saying "not many" for the meaning "a few".
        >Therefore my examples are valid.

        Richard,

        Your definition of "litotes" took me by surprise, since I always thought
        that litotes was deliberate understatement, to accentuate the
        superlative (e.g., saying "It's a little chilly" when it's really 30
        below zero). I therefore did a search on "litotes" and found that there
        are two very different definitions out there (yours and mine). I wonder
        if one definition is a corruption of the other. (Does anyone on the
        list happen to know, and [esp.] does anyone know which is correct for
        ancient Greek rhetoric?)

        John C. Poirier
        Middletown, Ohio

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
          In a message dated 12/3/2003 4:43:03 AM Pacific Standard Time, randerson58@... writes:

          Litotes is a rhetorical device of understatement used in some languages
          in which a positive statement is intended by stating the opposite of
          its negative, for example, saying "not many" for the meaning "a few".
          Therefore my examples are valid.

          I think John Poirier may be right here, and that you may be missing a slight nuance in the definition of litotes, which is the element of irony and understatement (in addition to stating what is intended in a negative formulation). On the other hand, some of the cases you brought up in Lk (particularly 15:13) may indeed have this element sufficiently to qualify. Actually, I didn't intend to make a major issue of the non-presence of litotes in Luke, although my statement itself seems to imply this. A more qualified statement would perhaps be more accurate: Luke uses litotes more frequently (and with a more classical flourish) in Acts than in his Gospel. The point of this observation is to confirm the fact that Luke adjusts his style consciously to suit his material, and that in general he writes with stylistic consciousness. As the Gospel begins to move into the Greco-Roman world with the preaching of Paul, Luke begins to write more pointedly for a Greco-Roman audience. To a great extent he abandons his LXX-imitation style, and even his literary models tend to be taken more from the classical writings of Greece and Rome. Speaking of which, did anyone attend the paper at the SBL meeting by Dennis Macdonald on "Paul as Theomachus: Imitation of Euripides' Bacchae in Acts"?

          Leonard Maluf
          Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
          Weston, MA
        • John Lupia
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
            According to Ad Herennium 4.38.50 "deminutio"
            (diminutio) is the lessening of one's accomplishments
            as a form of modesty (pudica) in a text or speech in
            order to gain the admiration of the audience. This
            rhetorical form (figure of ethos)was one of two key
            types used by speakers or authors (the other being
            anamnesis) to establish authority with the audience.
            This is very different from a mere deliberate
            understatement by disproportionate characterization as
            a lesser nature or kind, which, in rhetoric is
            "meiosis". The opposite of this latter form is
            overstatement or "hyperbole".

            > > Litotes is a rhetorical device of understatement
            > used in some languages
            > > in which a positive statement is intended by
            > stating the opposite of
            > > its negative, for example, saying "not many" for
            > the meaning "a few".
            > > Therefore my examples are valid.

            =====
            John N. Lupia, III