[Synoptic-L] On "cleansing"

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2003
      In a message dated 11/19/2003 2:24:56 AM Pacific Standard Time, eric.eve@... writes:

      That's true if you define the theme as 'cleansing from leprosy'; it's less
      obviously true if you define it as 'cleansing', of which this episode is
      then a particular example for Mark. Mark also has Jesus interact with the
      haemorraghing woman and a dead girl, for example, in each case touching them
      (as he touched the leper) and instead of contracting impurity himself
      removing the cause of impurity from the sufferer. I could expand this on
      this further, but I'm pressed for time, and I expect you catch my drift: the
      theme of Jesus' healing/cleansing touch and the breaking down of purity
      barriers *is* one that belongs in Mark.

      Yes, but notice that not a single example of the "cleansing" theme elsewhere in Mark is without a Matthean parallel (so, could in theory be derived from Matthew). Whereas every example of "leper cleansing" in Matt outside of the Matt 8:1-4 parallels is without a Markan parallel. This observation should lead one, therefore, to a type of empirical text analysis I have engaged in, this time with reference to the Matt-Mark parallels that treat the theme "cleansing", in order to test which of the two treatments is likely to be the more primitive. I would be happy to engage on this line as well.

      Leonard Maluf
      Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
      Weston, MA