Re: [Synoptic-L] Freudian slip?

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 7, 2003
      In a message dated 11/6/2003 11:17:10 PM Pacific Standard Time, k.hanhart@... writes:

      Although I have lived, studied and taught in the USA in an ecumenical setting, I would consider myself to be a European scholar. I was born in the Netherlands and received my basic exegetical training and doctorate in Amsterdam. Forgive me for saying that your attempt to polarize American and European scholarship, is not likely to succeed. It appears that you try to further your views on the synoptic problem by creating an imaginative diastasis between two continents. Would you describe that as objective scholarship?

      Karel,

        As Mark noted, I was thinking mainly of German scholars. There are a number of Dutch scholars whose work I have found very interesting, and open to new worlds, by comparison. I think, for example, van Unnik has done some brilliant writing on Luke; and I have been following the careful work of M. J. J. Menken (is he in fact Dutch?) for a long time as well. Even Swiss and Belgian scholars quite often think outside the German box. And certainly British scholarship has many a great light. In fact, I generally prefer European scholarship to that produced in the States. So you seriously misread my intent above.

      As for the Austrian Albert Fuchs, I once taught a New Testament course simultaneously with and next door to his course on the Synoptics, which he was teaching as a visiting professor in the States. At one point during the course I had a session with him in which I attempted to introduce him to some arguments for a late Mark. I must honestly say that, although in other respects a most gracious gentleman, I found him not in the least interested in even entertaining any alternative to the Two-Source explanation of the Synoptic Gospels, other than the slight modification of his own Deutero Mark theory. With the exception of a few very much younger students, the only German scholar I have spoken with who showed the least openness to alternative theories on the Synoptics was the late Jesuit Fr. Lentzen-Deis who taught at Hochschule Sankt Georgen in Frankfurt and at the Biblicum in Rome.

      Lest I give the false impression that I have something against Germans, this could not be further from the truth. I have more and better friends in Germany than I have in any other European country, including Italy where I studied. It is the ideologically iron clad treatment of the Synoptic problem in German Universities that bothers me, partly because I deeply sympathize with the young minds continuously being subjected to such a glaring lack of genuine scholarship.

      Leonard Maluf
      Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
      Weston, MA
    • John C. Poirier
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 7, 2003
        Dear Karel,

        The "diastasis between two continents" that Leonard invokes is anything but "imaginative".  It is a very good "objective" description of the state of scholarship.

        Let me add, however, that while I think German scholarship has been deficient in its dealings with the synoptic problem, there are many respects in which I wish American scholarship were more German.  If it's a certain "fogeyism" that hurts German scholarship in this one area (and I'm not saying that that's necessarily what it is), I would point out that the same "fogeyism" also saves German scholarship from the sort of rampant trendiness that we find in American scholarship on a number of other issues.  All too often in American writing, citing the currency of a particular theory takes the place of actually arguing for that theory.  (Worst of all, when it comes to hermeneutical issues, many will consider an argument to be successfully refuted by someone simply by associating it with "Enlightenment thinking"!)

        I'm not saying that trendiness isn't a bit of a problem everywhere, but it's much bigger problem in North America.

        Interestingly, the current hegemony of the Two Source Theory seems to benefit from both "fogeyism" (in its neglect to seriously consider newer solutions) and trendiness (in its uncritical appeal to what's current).  I guess this only shows that scarcely any other idea has been so deeply rooted in the collective consciousness of scholarship for as long as the Two Source Theory.

        John C. Poirier
        Middletown, Ohio

      • Richard H. Anderson
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 7, 2003
          --- In synoptic-l@yahoogroups.com, Maluflen@a... wrote:

          > As Mark noted, I was thinking mainly of German scholars.

          Leonard,

          Although your characterization, as modified, of German scholarship
          may be accurate, can I ask if you have read Hans-Herbert Stoldt,
          History and Criticism of Marcan Hypothesis (1977)(English 1980)?
          I believe Stoldt was born in Germany in 1901. It is a book I think
          you would enjoy.

          Richard H. Anderson

        • Emmanuel Fritsch
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 7, 2003
            "Richard H. Anderson" a écrit :

            > Leonard,
            >
            > Although your characterization, as modified, of German scholarship
            > may be accurate, can I ask if you have read Hans-Herbert Stoldt,
            > History and Criticism of Marcan Hypothesis (1977)(English 1980)?
            > I believe Stoldt was born in Germany in 1901. It is a book I think
            > you would enjoy.

            Would it be possible to produce collectively (on that list or where
            else ?) a detailed summary of arguments for and against markan
            priority ? Such a summary should contain text examples, references
            to main scholars, and considerations of methodology.

            Such an operation should in fact be leaded on all main synoptic
            hypotheses, but it would be even more usefull for Markan priority,
            since it is the root of all discussions about synoptics.

            a+
            manu

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 7, 2003
              In a message dated 11/7/2003 8:23:32 AM Eastern Standard Time, RAnderson58@... writes:

              > Although your characterization, as modified, of German scholarship
              > may be accurate, can I ask if you have read Hans-Herbert Stoldt,
              > History and Criticism of Marcan Hypothesis (1977)(English 1980)?
              > I believe Stoldt was born in Germany in 1901. It is a book
              > I think
              > you would enjoy.

              I am certainly aware of Hans-Herbert Stoldt's book and should certainly have mentioned him as an outstanding exception within German Synoptic scholarship. I have read in the book, though I never read it through systematically. By the way, the Dutch scholar I was thinking of when I wrote M.J.J. Menken was actually H. van de Sandt (if I remember the name right, and if I have the nationality right). Menken has also done some good stuff, though. Also, I didn't mean to omit reference to French scholarship which has certainly produced some giants of its own. I don't mean only the earlier twentieth century lights like Loisy, Benoit and Lagrange either. Augustin George, for example, was a brilliant and original Lukan scholar in his own right. Of course these French scholars, and perhaps most of the Swiss, Dutch, and Belgian scholars to whom I alluded, also accept Markan priority. The difference between them and the typical German scholar is that they do not hold it with the same ideological rigor, and their work on the Gospel texts is usually quite independent of, or relatively uninfluenced by this particular source theory.

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 7, 2003
                --- In synoptic-l@yahoogroups.com, Emmanuel Fritsch
                <emmanuel.fritsch@i...> wrote:

                > Would it be possible to produce collectively (on that list or
                where
                > else ?) a detailed summary of arguments for and against markan
                > priority ? Such a summary should contain text examples, references
                > to main scholars, and considerations of methodology.
                >
                > Such an operation should in fact be leaded on all main synoptic
                > hypotheses, but it would be even more usefull for Markan priority,
                > since it is the root of all discussions about synoptics.

                It sounds like you would like me to write a book!

                I first read this book perhaps ten years ago and have glanced at it
                when I have a particular question. I think its value in that it is
                meticulous. However, the definition of meticulous includes "careful
                about trivial matter" which say lot about the debate on the synoptic
                problem and this book's view of the minor agreements. Stoldt thinks
                the minor agreements are significant and a problem for the Marcan
                Hypothesis while the true believers think the minor agreements are
                trivial. The full length book will have to wait another day. At
                quick goggle search reveals you can buy this book used for nine
                dollars in paperback plus shipping and handling.

                Richard H. Anderson

              • Karel Hanhart
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 9, 2003
                  Dear Leonard,

                  Since I responded to you first, I address these remarks to you; they are
                  meant for all who have responded to Freudian slip thus far.

                  1. As to Dutch scholars, yes, Maarten Menken is a Dutch Catholic scholar and
                  so is Huub van de Sandt. I certainly recommend Huub's work on the Didache.
                  Menken specializes in John.
                  2. Concerning Fritsch's request. We could start with the summary on "The
                  Synoptic Problem" by Daniel B. Wallace of Dallas Theological Seminary. It
                  was reproduced in the Synoptic-L list on 9-11-98 21:35. He offered a good
                  and relatively lengthy statement in favor of Markan priority. I wonder if
                  the directors of this list could reproduce it again. The next step could be
                  that opponents would make clear, point by point, where amd why Daniel
                  went wrong. It might be helpful to identify scholars who support
                  one theory or another.

                  cordially yours, . .
                  Karel Hanhart