[Synoptic-L] Mark as a parable?

  • Shawn J Kelley
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2003
      With apologies for cross posting.

      I'm doing some research into the influence of the parable scholarship of
      Funk and Crossan in other areas of NT scholarship. I am currently
      exploring the way that Mark is conceived of as a parable. There are a
      number of important figures who argue this: Norman Perrin, John Donahue,
      Werner Kelber, Robert Fowler, and Stephen Moore all come to mind. Mary Ann
      Tolbert wrote a book arguing against this thesis- arguing that Mark is not
      a parable and is not parabolic.

      This debate (i.e. Mark is or is not parabolic) is now 10 years old and I
      haven't kept up with what's been out in the last 5 years or so. (I know,
      shame on me- but I do intend to catch up). I'm wondering where current
      Mark scholars would stand on the question. Have recent critics taken up
      the question? Are there implicit assumptions for or against the category
      in recent research? For those of you working in Mark, do you find the
      category "parable" or "parabolic" helpful in reading Mark? Do you find
      that it fits well with how you read Mark? Or does it seem to stand in the
      way of your reading of the text?

      Thanks in advance for any responses
      Shawn Kelley
      Assistant Professor