Re: [Synoptic-L] Farrer and James

  • Ken Olson
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 13, 2003
      Re: [Synoptic-L] Farrer and James
      On 10/9/03, Tim Reynolds asked:

      >>Does there exist a parallel texts setup for Js/Mt/Lk?  This sounds interesting.<<

      I haven't gotten very far in my own reading on the subject and haven't yet seen Patrick Hartin's James and the Q Sayings of Jesus.  There's a chart of the James/Matthhew/Luke parallels with verse numbers but no synopsis in Peter Davids, "James and Jesus,' in The Jesus Tradition Outside the Gospels, ed. D. Wenham, vol. 5 of Gospel Perspectives, 1984, 63-84, at 66-67.

      Here's Udo Schnelle's take on the subject:

      >>There are numerous common elements between James and the Synoptic tradition of Jesus’ words. In particular, there are close contacts with the Sermon on the Mount (Plain): James 1.2-4/Matt. 5.48par (perfection), James 1.5/Mat. 7.7par (asking for wisdom), James 1.22-23/Matt. 7.24-26par (doers of the word and not merely hearers), James 2.5/Matt. 5.3par (the kingdom of God for the poor [in spirit]), James 2.13/Matt. 5.7 (the reward of mercy), James 3.18/Matt. 5.9 9 (the promise of those who make peace), James James 4.13-15/Matt. 6.34 (plans for the future), James 5.1/Lk. 6.24 (woes against the rich), James 5.2/Matt. 6.20par (moths devour riches), James 5.10/Matt. 5.12par (prophets as a model for suffering), James 5.12/Matt. 5.33-37 (prohibition of oaths). The agreements between James and the Sermon on the Mount range over true piety, mercy, the right understanding of the law, and doing the will of God. They are not to be explained either as literary dependence or as the transmission of Jesus’ traditions by James the Lord’s brother. Rather, both James and the Sermon on the Mount are embedded in a common stream of tradition that is indebted to a kind of Jewish Christianity with a strong sapiential element. Central to the theology of this circle stands the idea of ethical perfection through the fulfilling of the Law, a perfection made possible by the divine gift of wisdom<< [The History and Theology of the New Testament Writings, 1994, trans. Boring 1998; p. 393].

      Sorry for the slow response; I've been incredibly busy of late.

      Best Wishes,

      Ken