Re: Meier on Thomas & the Synoptics (was Re: [Synoptic-L] Special Mark?)

  • Jeffrey Glen Jackson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2003
      > then ensured
      > she included something from everything - what are the odds of that?!

      Lacking precise data handily, here's a back of the envelope computation.

      Say you have 10 equally sized sets of sayings and you pick sayings
      at random. Each time you pick, the odds are .9 that some particular
      strand doesn't get picked from. The odds that a particular strand never
      gets picked from if you select 100 sayings would be .9**100, or
      about .000027. Multiply by 10 to get an approximation of
      the odds that any one of the ten doesn't get one, and you get
      .00027, or about 1:3765.

      Thus my back of the envelope computation indicates that
      it would almost be certain that Thomas, if he was picking
      sayings at something resembling random from the various
      strands, would include sayings from all the strands.

      mailto:jeff@... http://www.jeff-jackson.com