[Synoptic-L] The Markan Sanhedrin's view of Israel in exile

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2003
      With apologies for cross posting -- but I'd really like to engage as
      many minds as possible as quickly as possible on the question below.

      Recent writers on the Gospel of Mark (not to mention certain ones on the
      HJ) have been arguing that Mark presents Jesus' preaching and ministry
      as grounded in the fundamental assumption that Israel is in exile.
      Assuming for arguments sake (and FWIW, I think it is a good assumption
      given the new exodus themes presented in the prologue of GMark) that
      this is the case, should/can we also assume that those whom Mark
      portrays as Jesus' opponents, especially those who for him make up the
      Sanhedrin, **share** this view?

      What would be evidence in Mark that they did? Would the "fact" that "all
      of Jerusalem" goes out to hear John, who certainly seems to be
      announcing and portraying the "end of exile", be such evidence? Would
      the "fact" that members of the Sanhedrin take an interest in Jesus after
      takes up John's mantle and announces in a message whose language and
      imagery echo and are probably drawn from Second Isaiah? Anything else?

      Is there any reason to think that the Markan enemies of Jesus -- who
      hold a Psalms of Solomon Son of David Christology (cf. Mk 12:35-37) and
      are therefore in anticipation of the purgation of Israel from foreign
      domination and the exile like oppression that this signifies -- do not
      hold this view?

      Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey
      --

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)