[Synoptic-L] ANQRWPOI in the Gospel of Mark

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2003
      At Mark 8:33 Mark has Jesus rebuke Peter and call him Satan because
      Peter has shown himself with respect to his disdain for a Messiah who
      suffers to be thinking the things of "men" (FRONEIS... TA TWN ANQRWPWN).

      I am toying with an idea that that there is a link in Mark between
      "thinking the things of men" and "thinking as do the Markan enemies of
      Jesus" especially the Temple Aristocracy.

      But is there?

      What if anything is there in Mark's Gospel that might
      support the idea that for Mark the term ANQRWPOI is a reference to, or
      a cipher for, or in some way synonymous with, the Jewish leaders who,
      according to Mark, oppose Jesus?

      Thanks in advance.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey
      --

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

      1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
      Chicago, IL 60626

      jgibson000@...

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2003
        At 02:43 PM 10/2/03 -0500, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
        >At Mark 8:33 Mark has Jesus rebuke Peter and call him Satan because
        >Peter has shown himself with respect to his disdain for a Messiah who
        >suffers to be thinking the things of "men" (FRONEIS... TA TWN ANQRWPWN).
        >
        >I am toying with an idea that that there is a link in Mark between
        >"thinking the things of men" and "thinking as do the Markan enemies of
        >Jesus" especially the Temple Aristocracy.
        >
        >But is there?
        >
        >What if anything is there in Mark's Gospel that might
        >support the idea that for Mark the term ANQRWPOI is a reference to, or
        >a cipher for, or in some way synonymous with, the Jewish leaders who,
        >according to Mark, oppose Jesus?

        It seems like a tough case to make. I'd rather attempt to connect
        8:33 with 10:27 because both contrast God with humans.

      • Karel Hanhart
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 10, 2003
          From: Jeffrey B. Gibson <jgibson000@...>