[Synoptic-L] the vatican on mel

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2003
      Listers may want to take a look at this story from CNN today:

      http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/18/passion.vatican.reut/index.html

      VATICAN CITY (Reuters) -- A top Vatican cardinal entered the fray over Mel
      Gibson's controversial film "The Passion" on Thursday, praising it as "a
      triumph of art" and rejecting fears it could spark a wave of anti-Semitism.

      "I would gladly trade some of the homilies that I have given about the
      passion of Christ for even a few of the scenes of his film," said Cardinal
      Dario Castrillon Hoyos, head of the Vatican department in charge of priests.

      Jim

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      Dr Jim West
      Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies
      Quartz Hill School of Theology

      Biblical Studies Resources
      http://www.biblical-studies.org

    • Tim Reynolds
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 18, 2003
        on 9/18/03 11:21 AM, Jim West at jwest@... wrote:

        > Listers may want to take a look at this story from CNN today:
        >
        > http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/18/passion.vatican.reut/index.html
        >
        > VATICAN CITY (Reuters) -- A top Vatican cardinal entered the fray over Mel
        > Gibson's controversial film "The Passion" on Thursday, praising it as "a
        > triumph of art" and rejecting fears it could spark a wave of anti-Semitism.
        >
        > "I would gladly trade some of the homilies that I have given about the
        > passion of Christ for even a few of the scenes of his film," said Cardinal
        > Dario Castrillon Hoyos, head of the Vatican department in charge of priests.
        >

        > Jim
        >
        > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        >
        > Dr Jim West
        > Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies
        > Quartz Hill School of Theology
        >
        > Biblical Studies Resources
        > http://www.biblical-studies.org

        Article in 15 September New Yorker. I sent them a letter:

        ³The accounts differ on particulars; Matthew and Mark, for instance, have
        Jesus interrogated before a full Sanhedrin trial, while John skips over the
        trial and has Jesus questioned at a high priest¹s residence before delivery
        to Pilate. In the view of historical-Jesus scholars, such differences
        invalidate the Gospels¹ strict historicity, and, therefore, ...
        ahistorical.²

        ³They mesh. There¹s a couple of places where, yeah, that¹s not quite the
        same scene. But they just complete parts of the story that the other guy
        didn¹t complete. That¹s all. They do not contradict one another.²

        But there are contradictions between the texts; John puts the Temple uproar
        early in Jesus¹ public career and the Synoptics (=Mt/Mk/Lk) late, for
        instance. This is normal: look at the literature surrounding Kennedy¹s
        assassination. So Gibson is not reading these texts the way he¹d read a
        second mortgage on his home, as serious business. He¹s doing something
        else.

        The ³historical-Jesus² people are doing something else, too, something other
        than history as it¹s normally carried on. If you threw out all historical
        sources containing mutual inconsistencies, we would have no historical
        sources. It is the historian¹s job to investigate such inconsistencies,
        not, as both the above positions do, eliminate them.

        Gibson sees the gospels as superhistorical and the ³historical-Jesus²
        people as not historical at all. This area could use an infusion of real
        historians.

        Tim Reynolds
        Long Beach CA

        *

        Edit at will. I couldn¹t get it any shorter.

        I predict that you will be able to toss 90-odd percent of the letters you
        receive on this one either in a Gibson pile or a Sanders pile on the basis
        of the first paragraph.