[Synoptic-L] "inhabitation"

  • Dennis H White
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2003
      Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
      Doctors and Students, and other
      list members:

      I draw your attention to an article
      written by Norman R. Petersen
      entitled, "Elijah, the Son of God,
      and Jesus: Some Issues in the
      Anthropology of Characterization
      in Mark," from the book, FOR A
      LATER GENERATION, Edited by
      Randal A. Argall, Beverly A. Bow,
      and Rodney A. Werline (TRINITY
      PRESS INTERNATIONAL: Harrisburg
      Pennsylvania), 2000, pp.232-240.

      If attention has already been drawn to
      this article in some past posting, please
      forgive my ignorance in this matter.

      I particularly mention this article in light
      of its presentation that the Son of God
      only "inhabits" Jesus of Nazareth like
      the demons inhabit people or like
      Elijah inhabits John the Baptizer.

      If professor Petersen's contention is
      correct, then "Mark" (whomever he may be),
      would have no interest whatsoever in any
      birth narratives.  In other words, Petersen's
      article would offer an explanation as to
      why Mark may not have included any
      incarnation narrative since Jesus of
      Nazareth was only "inhabited" later in
      life by the preexistent Son of God.