[Synoptic-L] Re: Synopticists and Pentateuchists

  • Kym Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2003
      Dear Tom,

      I suspect that you read my post #6631, therefore you will know that I think that the Revelation was early (mid 62) and that much of the NT, including the gospels, were written after the Apocalypse. It has been noted by a number of scholars that Mark is geared to a readership which knew or expected suffering. Having read the Revelation, I think Mark was written as a brief reminder of the things Peter had taught (2 Pet 1:12-15) to encourage the Church for what he and the other apostles assumed was the short period remaining before Christ returned. It is a short-term gospel, full of power but short on teaching (hence the need to enlarge it once the immediate threat seemed to have passed). That short time would be a time of great tribulation (cf. Mark 13).

      The relatively long section on the Baptist's death was to encourage all who may suffer. They were to note John's example and his testimony in the face of death, this is the company you will be among. It was especially to encourage any who may face a similar death in the expected persecution (cf. Rev 20:4).

      Sincerely,

      Kym Smith
      Adelaide
      South Australia