Re: [Synoptic-L] boismard

  • Ken Olson
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13, 2003
      Jim,

      I haven't tried to tackle Boismard and Lamouille's _Les Actes des deux
      Apotres, (1990+) which has now grown to six volumes in French. There's a
      good English summary of the first three volumes in Justin Taylor "The Making
      of Acts: a New Account" RB 97 (1990) 504-524. Taylor, a colleague of
      Boismard and Lamouille at the Ecole Biblique in Jerusalem, is the author of
      volume VI, an historical commentary on Acts 9.1-18.22.

      Excerpted from Taylor:

      Vol. I is a "general introduction [that] presents in advance the conclusions
      of the whole investigation, and is followed by a literal translation into
      French of both the Alexandrian and Western texts"

      Vol. II is a "detailed literary and theological synthesis of each of the
      documents which, it is held, have gone into the making of Acts."

      "Vol. III contains the literary critical analyses which support the
      attribution of this or that passage to a particular level of redaction"

      I don't know what volumes 4 and 5 are about.

      Boismard sees Acts as a product of three sources that were combined in three
      levels of redaction. The three sources used by redactor I were P (=Petrine
      source), J (=Johannite document about JBap) and Jv (=Journal de voyage; the
      travel diary that is the basic source of the We-passages). Redactor II had
      access to both to the work of redactor I and his sources and rewrote them
      heavily. Redactor III had access to the work of both I and II but made
      fewer alterations than II had. In general, II is best represented by the
      Western text. It is not the same as our Western text, but a reconstruction
      of Boismard's. III is the Alexandrian text of Acts.

      Best Wishes,

      Ken

      kaolson@...

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 14, 2003
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 17, 2003
          on 8/14/03 1:02 PM, Karel Hanhart at k.hanhart@... wrote:

> [...]

          Mk5.39, Funk: and says to them ³Why are you carrying on like this?²

          Mt9.24: he said, ³Go away ...²

          Lk8.53: but he said, ³Do not weep ...²

          legei autois ti thorubesthe kai klaiete

          elegen anakhoreite

          ho de eipen me klaiete

          Since 1998 I have been suggesting from time to time that these texts bear
          the same relation to one another as:

          To be or not to be, aye, that¹s the point

          The above is of course from the ³Bad Quarto² of Hamlet, a specimen of what
          Shakespearean scholars call ³auditory piracy²: the target text is
          memorized and subsequently reproduced as well as can be expected from a text
          presented in an oral venue. There are a variety of examples of the genre
          extant, mostly sermons and plays. The originals and the ³pirated² versions
          show the endemic minor disagreements characterizing the Synoptic texts.

          Morton Smith¹s Clement letter describes an orally presented Markan
          manuscript in Alexandria:

          ³Thus, in sum, [Mark] prepared matters, neither grudgingly nor incautiously,
          in my opinion, and, dying, he left his composition to the church in
          Alexandria, where it even yet is most carefully guarded, being read only to
          those who are being initiated into the great mysteries.²

          Think about it.

          Tim Reynolds
          Long Beach CA USA