[Synoptic-L] boismard

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13, 2003
      I know this is slightly off topic--- but I dont know of an "Acts" discussion
      list.

      Boismard suggests somewhere that the western text of Acts is "first edition"
      material. I have looked at Amazon.fr and found several things-- a mutli
      volume commentary on acts from around 1990 and a one volume commentary from
      2000. So, before I buy something, which one has the fullest discussion of
      his ideas about the western text?

      Thanks

      Jim

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      Jim West
      Quartz Hill School of Theology
      Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies

      Biblical Studies Resources
      http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 13, 2003
        Hi Jim. I'm afraid I'm ignorant about Boismard on Acts, but while
        the question is very welcome here (so quiet these days!), actually
        there is an Acts discussion list. See:

        There's an old homepage at:

        http://www3.baylor.edu/ACTSL/

        But the information there is quite out of date. Or just see the E-
        Lists page on the NT Gateway (http://www.ntgateway.com/E-Lists.htm).

        Mark

        -----------------------------
        Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
        University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 4381
        Birmingham B15 2TT UK

        http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
        http://NTGateway.com

      • Ken Olson
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13, 2003
          Jim,

          I haven't tried to tackle Boismard and Lamouille's _Les Actes des deux
          Apotres, (1990+) which has now grown to six volumes in French. There's a
          good English summary of the first three volumes in Justin Taylor "The Making
          of Acts: a New Account" RB 97 (1990) 504-524. Taylor, a colleague of
          Boismard and Lamouille at the Ecole Biblique in Jerusalem, is the author of
          volume VI, an historical commentary on Acts 9.1-18.22.

          Excerpted from Taylor:

          Vol. I is a "general introduction [that] presents in advance the conclusions
          of the whole investigation, and is followed by a literal translation into
          French of both the Alexandrian and Western texts"

          Vol. II is a "detailed literary and theological synthesis of each of the
          documents which, it is held, have gone into the making of Acts."

          "Vol. III contains the literary critical analyses which support the
          attribution of this or that passage to a particular level of redaction"

          I don't know what volumes 4 and 5 are about.

          Boismard sees Acts as a product of three sources that were combined in three
          levels of redaction. The three sources used by redactor I were P (=Petrine
          source), J (=Johannite document about JBap) and Jv (=Journal de voyage; the
          travel diary that is the basic source of the We-passages). Redactor II had
          access to both to the work of redactor I and his sources and rewrote them
          heavily. Redactor III had access to the work of both I and II but made
          fewer alterations than II had. In general, II is best represented by the
          Western text. It is not the same as our Western text, but a reconstruction
          of Boismard's. III is the Alexandrian text of Acts.

          Best Wishes,

          Ken

          kaolson@...

          > I know this is slightly off topic--- but I dont know of an "Acts"
          discussion
          > list.
          >
          > Boismard suggests somewhere that the western text of Acts is "first editio
          n"
          > material. I have looked at Amazon.fr and found several things-- a mutli
          > volume commentary on acts from around 1990 and a one volume commentary
          from
          > 2000. So, before I buy something, which one has the fullest discussion of
          > his ideas about the western text?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Jim

        • Karel Hanhart
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 14, 2003
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 17, 2003
              on 8/14/03 1:02 PM, Karel Hanhart at k.hanhart@... wrote:

> [...]

              Mk5.39, Funk: and says to them ³Why are you carrying on like this?²

              Mt9.24: he said, ³Go away ...²

              Lk8.53: but he said, ³Do not weep ...²

              legei autois ti thorubesthe kai klaiete

              elegen anakhoreite

              ho de eipen me klaiete

              Since 1998 I have been suggesting from time to time that these texts bear
              the same relation to one another as:

              To be or not to be, aye, that¹s the point

              The above is of course from the ³Bad Quarto² of Hamlet, a specimen of what
              Shakespearean scholars call ³auditory piracy²: the target text is
              memorized and subsequently reproduced as well as can be expected from a text
              presented in an oral venue. There are a variety of examples of the genre
              extant, mostly sermons and plays. The originals and the ³pirated² versions
              show the endemic minor disagreements characterizing the Synoptic texts.

              Morton Smith¹s Clement letter describes an orally presented Markan
              manuscript in Alexandria:

              ³Thus, in sum, [Mark] prepared matters, neither grudgingly nor incautiously,
              in my opinion, and, dying, he left his composition to the church in
              Alexandria, where it even yet is most carefully guarded, being read only to
              those who are being initiated into the great mysteries.²

              Think about it.

              Tim Reynolds
              Long Beach CA USA