[Synoptic-L] Mark's Epilogue (15,42 - 16,8)

  • Karel Hanhart
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12 12:48 AM
      Dear listers,

      As I announced earlier you'll find attached a first instalment of a number of theses concerning
      Mark's open tomb narrative. As far as I know, no alternative to William L.Craig's able defence of a literal
      understanding of Mark 15,42 - 16,8 has thus far been offered (see New Testament Studies 30.2 and 31.1), based on a text by text exegesis. However, did Mark want his readers to believe that the three women discovered Jesus' grave to be empty that Sundaymorning? If the text does not warrant a literal interpretation, what message did Mark want to convey?
      In these theses I am offering an alternative.  The numbered theses may help to focus the debate on a specific issue as part of the entire argumentation concerning Mark's witness to the resurrection. I am referring especially to the argumentation in my "The Open Tomb, a New Approach", Liturgical Press, Collegeville, 1995. This first instalment is related to the text.itself of Mark's ending. Off-list correspondence is also welcomed.

      cordially,

      Karel Hanhart

      K.Hanhart@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 12 2:06 AM
        Dear Karel

        Thanks for your email. I'm afraid that we discourage the sending of
        attachments with list email (a) because they make messages too large
        and so clog up subscribers' inboxes and (b) because there is always a
        risk of passing on viruses to multiple recipients. With respect to
        (a), your message was 41k, over ten times the size of normal Synoptic-
        L messages. If you have something you'd like subscribers to see, we
        recommend that you use the Yahoo!Groups archive. Simply go to
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/synoptic-l/ and click on "Files". You
        can then announce to the list that you have sent your file to the
        Yahoo!Groups archive for everyone to view.

        With thanks
        Mark
        Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
        University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 4381
        Birmingham B15 2TT UK

        http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
        http://NTGateway.com