Re: [Synoptic-L] New way to misrepresent Goulder

    Message 1 of 4 , May 22, 2003
      Thanks for this, Ken. An interesting footnote to this: when Goulder
      criticised the coining of the term "Two Gospel Hypothesis", he added
      that 'my own theory, which is well-known to the Griesbachians, is
      also a Two-Gospel hypothesis, with Mark and Matthew the sources for
      Luke. So there are at least two Two-Gospel hypotheses. Griesbach
      has been known as the originator of the theory for two centuries, and
      his honourable name should be maintained.' ('Luke's Knowledge of
      Matthew' in George Strecker, ed., Minor Agreements. Symposium
      Göttingen 1991 (Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 1993), pp. 143-60
      (p. 143, n. 1).). I think my own feeling, the more I reflect on
      this, is that one of the best ways of avoiding polemic is to stick
      with the names that the defenders of the hypothesis themselves
      prefer, so I use Two-Source, Farrer, Two-Gospel and so on, after what
      the defenders of each prefer.

      Mark
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 4381
      Birmingham B15 2TT UK

      http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
      http://NTGateway.com