[Synoptic-L] SBL and AAR

  • Matson, Mark (Academic)
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2003
      Dear list:

      I know this is "off-subject", but I was wondering what everyone is thinking about AAR's divorce from the SBL meeting. What kind of result will this have on our scholarly meetings, our interaction? At my college the most distress is coming from the Christian theologians, who have often found as much useful in the SBL side of things -- especially the theology of biblical books discussions. Also the lit-crit sections have been seen as particularly valuable. One professor here said "the best theology today is literary criticism." Has there been any other discussions at your colleges? Will there be an attempt by SBL to increase some of the interest in theology?

      mark

      Mark A. Matson
      Academic Dean, Milligan College
      http://www.milligan.edu/Administrative/MMatson/personal.htm

      ---

    • John C. Poirier
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2003
        My initial reaction to the SBL-AAR split was positive, although it is not difficult to see how others might regret it. I agree that something of a theological dimension might be lost, and that SBL can remedy this with sections dedicated to biblical theology. But there are also many remora-like organizations (I don't mean that pejoratively) that hold their meetings at the same time, immediately before, or immediately after the SBL: maybe an organization devoted to biblical theology can take up the slack.

        Although I am also interested in biblical theology, my biggest concern is whether we will lose any worthy participants in the book exhibit.

        John C. Poirier
        Middletown, Ohio

        "Matson, Mark (Academic)" wrote:

        > Dear list:
        >
        > I know this is "off-subject", but I was wondering what everyone is thinking about AAR's divorce from the SBL meeting. What kind of result will this have on our scholarly meetings, our interaction? At my college the most distress is coming from the Christian theologians, who have often found as much useful in the SBL side of things -- especially the theology of biblical books discussions. Also the lit-crit sections have been seen as particularly valuable. One professor here said "the best theology today is literary criticism." Has there been any other discussions at your colleges? Will there be an attempt by SBL to increase some of the interest in theology?
        >
        > mark
        >
        > Mark A. Matson
        > Academic Dean, Milligan College
        > http://www.milligan.edu/Administrative/MMatson/personal.htm
        >
        > ---

      • Horace Jeffery Hodges
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2003
          I don't know all of the details, but I'm assuming that
          this divorce means that the two meetings will possibly
          be held at different times and in different places.

          On that assumption, the separation is a problem for
          those of us overseas who would like to attend both
          conferences. It is now twice as time-consuming and
          twice as expensive.

          Jeffery Hodges

          =====
          447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City