RE: [Synoptic-L] Review of Stein

  • Matson, Mark (Academic)
    Message 1 of 7 , May 5, 2003
      One could, of course, claim divine inspiration on the part of both of us. Although I am not sure I felt very inspired when I wrote it. And of course David Dungan could have become highly sensitive to the Farrer theory.

      When I read Dungan's review, I thought "boy, that's a fairly cogent review!" Though it did sound vaguely familiar. :)

      But seriously I think some big mistake has been made at SBL in the posting of this. I hope David Dungan is not too embarrassed by having my review posted in his name! I have contacted SBL about the error.

      At least someone's reading these reviews.

      mark

      Mark A. Matson
      Academic Dean, Milligan College
      http://www.milligan.edu/Administrative/MMatson/personal.htm

      ---

    • Horace Jeffery Hodges
      Message 2 of 7 , May 5, 2003
        Thomas R. W. Longstaff wrote:

        "[T]his is absolutely the best evidence that we have
        for the existence of Q. It proves, beyond a shadow of
        doubt, that that hypothetical document really existed!
        The problem is solved. Both Dungan and Matson
        used Q."

        John C. Poirier wrote:

        "[T]he extensive sequential agreements between Dungan
        and Matson show the use of a written source."

        So, we have scholarly consensus. I guess that clinches
        it. Harnack, Luhrmann, and Kloppenborg (et al.) are
        all correct -- Q existed and was a written document.

        Jeffery Hodges

        =====
        447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City
        Yangsandong 411