RE: [Synoptic-L] Review of Stein

  • Thomas R. W. Longstaff
    Message 1 of 7 , May 5, 2003
      > Right,
      >
      > Given the extensive verbatim agreements, one would have to
      > conclude that
      > there is some sort of literary dependence between these two
      > documents.
      > The question now is whether one has copied the other or
      > whether both have
      > made use of a common source. If the former, then one must
      > utilize some
      > reasonable criteria for determining the direction of literary
      > dependence
      > between Dungan and Matson, such as those suggested by Eduard
      > Zeller in
      > 1843.
      >
      > I contacted the administration at RBL this morning, noting the verbal
      > identities and asking the administrators to look into this literary
      > puzzle and explain it and correct it, if necessary. In this
      > instance, my
      > working hypothesis is that we have a case of later
      > electronic, scribal
      > error of "cutting and pasting," rather than some actual literary
      > relationship between the texts of the two original authors.
      >
      > David B. Peabody

      David,

      You take a step in the right direction when you recognize that the two
      might have made use of a common source. What you fail to recognize is
      that this is absolutely the best evidence that we have for the existence
      of Q. It proves, beyond a shadow of doubt, that that hypothetical
      document really existed! The problem is solved. Both Dungan and Matson
      used Q.

      Oh well, it IS Spring in Maine at last.

      Tom

      Dr. Thomas R. W. Longstaff
      Crawford Family Professor, Emeritus
      Department of Religious Studies
      Colby College
      4643 Mayflower Hill
      Waterville, ME 04901-8846
      Phone: (207) 872-6617
      FAX: (207) 872-3802

    • Matson, Mark (Academic)
      Message 2 of 7 , May 5, 2003
        One could, of course, claim divine inspiration on the part of both of us. Although I am not sure I felt very inspired when I wrote it. And of course David Dungan could have become highly sensitive to the Farrer theory.

        When I read Dungan's review, I thought "boy, that's a fairly cogent review!" Though it did sound vaguely familiar. :)

        But seriously I think some big mistake has been made at SBL in the posting of this. I hope David Dungan is not too embarrassed by having my review posted in his name! I have contacted SBL about the error.

        At least someone's reading these reviews.

        mark

        Mark A. Matson
        Academic Dean, Milligan College
        http://www.milligan.edu/Administrative/MMatson/personal.htm

        ---

      • Horace Jeffery Hodges
        Message 3 of 7 , May 5, 2003
          Thomas R. W. Longstaff wrote:

          "[T]his is absolutely the best evidence that we have
          for the existence of Q. It proves, beyond a shadow of
          doubt, that that hypothetical document really existed!
          The problem is solved. Both Dungan and Matson
          used Q."

          John C. Poirier wrote:

          "[T]he extensive sequential agreements between Dungan
          and Matson show the use of a written source."

          So, we have scholarly consensus. I guess that clinches
          it. Harnack, Luhrmann, and Kloppenborg (et al.) are
          all correct -- Q existed and was a written document.

          Jeffery Hodges

          =====
          447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City
          Yangsandong 411