[Synoptic-L] Luke's editorial task (was re: more on Downing)

  • Ron Price
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24 11:00 AM
      In the discussion prompted by Downing, the comparison between Luke and
      Josephus et. al regarding the difficulty of merging and rearranging
      sources has attempted to assess "difficulty" in an absolute sense.
      In practice this is unrealistic. Any given author would weigh the
      difficulty against the perceived gains before making the decision to
      tackle a complicated merger/rearrangement.
      My point is that in Luke's case on the Farrer Theory, he would clearly
      have evaluated two options:
      (1) Use Mark for the basic story and structure, and also take a large
      number of pericopae from Matthew.
      (2) Base the new gospel entirely on Matthew.
      Option (1) has only a marginal benefit: Mark was the older (and more
      reliable?) document. On the other hand, the use of Mark meant that Luke
      would have had to merge data from two large documents.
      Option (2) would have been far easier.

      Additionally it is not clear on the Farrer Theory why Luke chose Mark
      as the basis and then proceeded to prefer the Matthean wording on
      numerous occasions (the 'minor agreements'). Why not rather go for
      option (2) and thus avoid having to make hundreds of little changes to
      the source?

      Ron Price

      Derbyshire, UK

      e-mail: ron.price@...

    • John C. Poirier
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 24 3:11 PM
        Ron Price wrote:

        > In the discussion prompted by Downing, the comparison between Luke and
        > Josephus et. al regarding the difficulty of merging and rearranging
        > sources has attempted to assess "difficulty" in an absolute sense.
        > In practice this is unrealistic. Any given author would weigh the
        > difficulty against the perceived gains before making the decision to
        > tackle a complicated merger/rearrangement. . . .

        Ron,

        If Luke's notice about attempting an "orderly account" is meant to emphasize
        the matter of order, then should we not presume that he disagreed with the
        order of one or more of his sources? Of course it's easier to use Matthew
        as the basis of a new gospel, but why write a new gospel if Matthew got it
        all right (even literarily)?

        It seems to me that you're making things too complicated for Luke.
        Depending on how familiar he was with Mark, it may have been easy for Luke
        to spot Matthew's additions.

        Think about it: if someone gave you a copy of one of the gospels in which
        new material had been added, would you not be able to recognize the new
        material right away (no matter how biblical it sounded), based on your
        familiarity with the correct version of the text? Critics of the Farrer
        hypothesis seem to think that it would have been tedious for Farrer's Luke
        to do what MicrosoftWord's "compare versions" function does, but that only
        shows a lack of historical imagination. If you are thoroughly familiar with
        one of the source texts, it's easy to do the equivalent of the "compare
        versions" function in your head when reading a conflate text. (Of course,
        it's more difficult when you're thoroughly familiar with *both* texts, which
        may be why so many scholars have difficulty imagining the procedure.)
        There's nothing "unrealistic" about it.

        John C. Poirier
        Middletown, Ohio