Re: [Synoptic-L] more on Downing (was: Response to Downing)

  • Emmanuel Fritsch
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 23, 2003
      Ken Olson wrote :

      > >>More over : Eusebius, Josephus and modern filmmakers all change
      > the order for a sake of conveniance : they translate a story
      > from a litterary gender to another one, which present its own
      > convention and its own convenience (i.e: its own properties, its
      > own rhetoric, its own constraints).<<
      >
      > KO:
      > I was addressing primarily the mechanical aspects of composition and trying
      > to show that ancient authors had techniques that allowed them to
      > systematically rearrange their sources, even if those sources were fairly
      > long. Both Eusebius and Josephus apparently knew how to rearrange the order
      > of material taken from long written sources. It's possible that genre
      > conventions would have prevented someone from using a known technique of
      > rearrangement, but that wouldn't change the fact that such a technique was
      > known (and used). That is what I am disputing with Downing.

      EF :
      You have addressed in your mail two arguments : the mechanical aspects,
      and the aesthetical consideration. My answer addressed this two aspects.

      ** about aesthetical consideration, I point out the facts that order
      changes were needed by literary genre translation. That does not apply
      to synoptic problem.

      ** about mechanical aspects, you are right to answer that Eusebius and
      Josephus rearranging their source are a good answer to those who argue
      an impossibility for Luke to rearrange Matthew.

      a+
      manu