Re: [Synoptic-L] Re: Advancing from the Basics (many questions)

  • Tim Reynolds
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2003
      on 4/2/03 8:52 PM, Chris Larimer at clarimer@... wrote:

      >> I was hoping to pick up Classical greek by just reading progressively
      > difficult greek. Is this practical, is there a recommended reading course of
      > authors to do this?

      I started with Pharr's Homeric Greek by the Inductive Method. You learn a
      little vocabulary and wow, you're reading the Iliad, Menin aeide thea. It's
      an incentive. So it gets progressively easier; when I read the gospels,
      lustra later, they read like bar conversation.

      tim

    • Daniel Gurtner
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2003
        I agree, Wallace's intermediate grammar is the place
        to go. There is a summary of the whole thing in an
        appendix in the back of Mounce's Graded Reader which
        makes it much more concise and less overwhelming.

        Daniel M. Gurtner
        St. Mary's College
        University of St. Andrews, Scotland