[Synoptic-L] Re: Advancing from the Basics (many questions)

  • Chris Larimer
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2003
      > Message: 2
      > Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 12:30:59 -0500
      > From: Granby@...
      > Subject: [B-Greek] Advancing from the Basics (many questions)
      > To: b-greek@...
      >
      > (Where I'm at) I've worked through Mounces BBG, his Graded Reader, and I'm
      fairly far along in memorizing all the stems in 'Greek Word Building' by
      Matthias Stehle.

      > Whats the best course of action from here.
      > Reading or more Study?

      Daniel Wallace is an excellent grammarian from Dallas Theological Seminary.
      His book _Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics_ is superb but can be a bit
      overwhelming. An intermediate step may be his _Basics of Greek Syntax_.
      These cover semantic domains and common uses of particular cases --
      something you are unlikely to pick up on your own. While a great deal of it
      is self-explanatory, it took his spelling it out for me to get to the "a-ha"
      moments where I actually knew what I was doing.

      > I was hoping to pick up Classical greek by just reading progressively
      difficult greek. Is this practical, is there a recommended reading course of
      authors to do this?
      > What would be a good classical greek textbook in case I get stalled?

      The Perseus Digital Project has a number of older grammars on line that have
      been illuminating. These are free and may be accessed at
      http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cache/perscoll_Greco-Roman.html Look for the
      "Other Tools and Lexica" on the left column. There you will find a
      collegiate level grammar by Herbert Weir Smyth (1956 ed -- the last update
      was 1983, but not much has changed since 56 and it's a classic) and the full
      and abbreviated versions of LSJ. I've heard good things about _Athenaze: An
      Introduction to Ancient Greek_. You can't go wrong with the _Oxford Grammar
      of Classical Greek_ (>$12 on Amazon.com), but try to stick to Homeric Greek
      (Monro's is particularly readable) for beginning -- it's the widest
      possible. There are lots of texts on Perseus and plenty of graded readers.
      There is a book made for learning Attic from Koine, but I can't seem to find
      it.

      Hope this helps:

      Chris Larimer

    • Tim Reynolds
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2003
        on 4/2/03 8:52 PM, Chris Larimer at clarimer@... wrote:

        >> I was hoping to pick up Classical greek by just reading progressively
        > difficult greek. Is this practical, is there a recommended reading course of
        > authors to do this?

        I started with Pharr's Homeric Greek by the Inductive Method. You learn a
        little vocabulary and wow, you're reading the Iliad, Menin aeide thea. It's
        an incentive. So it gets progressively easier; when I read the gospels,
        lustra later, they read like bar conversation.

        tim

      • Daniel Gurtner
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2003
          I agree, Wallace's intermediate grammar is the place
          to go. There is a summary of the whole thing in an
          appendix in the back of Mounce's Graded Reader which
          makes it much more concise and less overwhelming.

          Daniel M. Gurtner
          St. Mary's College
          University of St. Andrews, Scotland