Re: [Synoptic-L] Lost Q Document Found

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
      On 1 Apr 2003, at 14:16, Ken Olson wrote:

      > Very funny. I'm just afraid this is going to show up on a web site
      > somewhere as definitive evidence for Q.

      I must admit that my heart did skip a beat when I saw the subject
      line! What Ken suggests does indeed happen. One of the urban
      legends that is fascinating to trace the development of is the one
      about the Harry Potter books promoting a rise in Satanism among
      the young, widespread in many Christian circles but originating in a
      satirical piece in The Onion.

      By the way, I've recently suffered a major computer crash and have
      lost a good deal of recent correspondence, i.e. all unanswered
      emails from mid February to the present. If you are awaiting an
      answer to an email from me, I would be very grateful if you could
      resend it -- with apologies.

      Mark

      ------------------
      Dr Mark Goodacre
      Dept of Theology
      University of Birmingham
      Birmingham B15 2TT UK

      http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
      http://NTGateway.com

    • Horace Jeffery Hodges
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
        On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 14:07:42 -0500 (EST), Stephen C.
        Carlson wrote:

        <I came across the following news item. If true, this
        is pretty exciting stuff!>

        Since it posted here on April 2, 2003 (due to the
        International Date Line), I am compelled to take the
        report seriously.

        In fact, I heard a rumor that this Q document was
        actually found pasted onto the back of a plaque from
        Solomon's Temple and lying in the James ossuary.

        Experts are indeed skeptical and note that "Q" can
        also stand for "Questionable."

        Jeffery Hodges

        =====
        447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City
        Yangsandong 411
        South Korea

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
          You mean I should not have forwarded this to my whole mailing list?

          ;-)

          Dave Gentile

          On April Fool's Day, Stephen Carlson wrote:

          > Dear list,
          >
          > I came across the following news item. If true, this
          > is pretty exciting stuff!
          >
          > Stephen Carlson

          Stephen,

          Very funny. I'm just afraid this is going to show up on a web site
          somewhere as definitive evidence for Q.

          Best Wishes,

          Ken

        • Jim West
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
            Interesting, isn't it, that this particular thread has generated more
            discussion and comment than most serious ones. Titillation is always more
            fun than truth, even among academics.

            Best

            jim

            +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

            Jim West, ThD

            Biblical Studies Resources
            http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

          • Jeffrey B. Gibson
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
              "Stephen C. Carlson" wrote:

              > Dear list,
              >
              > I came across the following news item. If true, this
              > is pretty exciting stuff!
              >
              > Stephen Carlson

              Yes, and I've seen a follow up in the World News that notes not only
              that a
              librarian in New Jersey has declared it inauthentic (after consulting
              the
              works of an Irish monk), while a relative of the director of _Three
              Women_
              has found evidence of five hands in its composition, and a Canadian
              biblical
              scholar specializing in obscure Medieval Diatessaronic witnesses and
              translations of OS MSS has claimed that it confirms that the Peepshow
              Gospel
              was the text from which the canonical Gospels arose.

              Yours,

              Jeffrey Gibson--

              Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

              1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1