Re: [Synoptic-L] Lost Q Document Found

  • Ken Olson
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
      On April Fool's Day, Stephen Carlson wrote:

      > Dear list,
      >
      > I came across the following news item. If true, this
      > is pretty exciting stuff!
      >
      > Stephen Carlson

      Stephen,

      Very funny. I'm just afraid this is going to show up on a web site
      somewhere as definitive evidence for Q.

      Best Wishes,

      Ken

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
        On 1 Apr 2003, at 14:16, Ken Olson wrote:

        > Very funny. I'm just afraid this is going to show up on a web site
        > somewhere as definitive evidence for Q.

        I must admit that my heart did skip a beat when I saw the subject
        line! What Ken suggests does indeed happen. One of the urban
        legends that is fascinating to trace the development of is the one
        about the Harry Potter books promoting a rise in Satanism among
        the young, widespread in many Christian circles but originating in a
        satirical piece in The Onion.

        By the way, I've recently suffered a major computer crash and have
        lost a good deal of recent correspondence, i.e. all unanswered
        emails from mid February to the present. If you are awaiting an
        answer to an email from me, I would be very grateful if you could
        resend it -- with apologies.

        Mark

        ------------------
        Dr Mark Goodacre
        Dept of Theology
        University of Birmingham
        Birmingham B15 2TT UK

        http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
        http://NTGateway.com

      • Horace Jeffery Hodges
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
          On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 14:07:42 -0500 (EST), Stephen C.
          Carlson wrote:

          <I came across the following news item. If true, this
          is pretty exciting stuff!>

          Since it posted here on April 2, 2003 (due to the
          International Date Line), I am compelled to take the
          report seriously.

          In fact, I heard a rumor that this Q document was
          actually found pasted onto the back of a plaque from
          Solomon's Temple and lying in the James ossuary.

          Experts are indeed skeptical and note that "Q" can
          also stand for "Questionable."

          Jeffery Hodges

          =====
          447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City
          Yangsandong 411
          South Korea

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
            You mean I should not have forwarded this to my whole mailing list?

            ;-)

            Dave Gentile

            On April Fool's Day, Stephen Carlson wrote:

            > Dear list,
            >
            > I came across the following news item. If true, this
            > is pretty exciting stuff!
            >
            > Stephen Carlson

            Stephen,

            Very funny. I'm just afraid this is going to show up on a web site
            somewhere as definitive evidence for Q.

            Best Wishes,

            Ken

          • Jim West
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
              Interesting, isn't it, that this particular thread has generated more
              discussion and comment than most serious ones. Titillation is always more
              fun than truth, even among academics.

              Best

              jim

              +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

              Jim West, ThD

              Biblical Studies Resources
              http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

            • Jeffrey B. Gibson
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
                "Stephen C. Carlson" wrote:

                > Dear list,
                >
                > I came across the following news item. If true, this
                > is pretty exciting stuff!
                >
                > Stephen Carlson

                Yes, and I've seen a follow up in the World News that notes not only
                that a
                librarian in New Jersey has declared it inauthentic (after consulting
                the
                works of an Irish monk), while a relative of the director of _Three
                Women_
                has found evidence of five hands in its composition, and a Canadian
                biblical
                scholar specializing in obscure Medieval Diatessaronic witnesses and
                translations of OS MSS has claimed that it confirms that the Peepshow
                Gospel
                was the text from which the canonical Gospels arose.

                Yours,

                Jeffrey Gibson--

                Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

                1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1