[Synoptic-L] Lost Q Document Found

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
      Dear list,

      I came across the following news item. If true, this
      is pretty exciting stuff!

      Stephen Carlson

      ---snip---

      LOST Q DOCUMENT FOUND IN CAVE

      JERUSALEM, April 1, 2003 -- According to the Israeli
      Antiquities Authority, excavators in one of the caves
      around Qumran have today uncovered from an unsearched
      area of Cave 7 a scroll containing the long-lost
      source of Jesus's sayings scholars.

      For over 150 years, scholars have argued that Matthew
      and Luke used another source called Q in addition to
      Mark in composing their Gospels; however, critics
      have charged that no record of this source existed.

      "What is important about this discovery," says leading
      Q scholar John S. Kloppenborg-Veblen, "is that it not
      only proves that this hypothetical document really existed
      but also provides a stunning confirmation of the text that
      the International Q Project reconstructed just two years
      ago."

      Paleographer Peter Carsten Thiede dates the discovered Q
      document to A.D. 42 based on the shape of the letter "nu".
      "Another interesting thing about this document is that
      it is one of the first to use ellipses and double brackets
      extensively," Thiede said in a telephone interview.

      The damage scroll was labelled with the Hebrew letter qoph,
      likely standing for "Qumran," where the scroll was found.
      "Since the Hebrew letter qoph corresponds to the Latin
      letter Q," says Kloppenborg-Veblen, "it appears that the
      source really was called Q."

      Q skeptics are still not persuaded, however. Mark S.
      Goulder said that even if this discovery was not an
      elaborate April Fool's joke, it still would be simpler
      to conclude that Luke used Matthew instead of both going
      to Qumran to research their Gospels.

      --
      Stephen C. Carlson,
      mailto:scarlson@...

    • Ken Olson
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
        On April Fool's Day, Stephen Carlson wrote:

        > Dear list,
        >
        > I came across the following news item. If true, this
        > is pretty exciting stuff!
        >
        > Stephen Carlson

        Stephen,

        Very funny. I'm just afraid this is going to show up on a web site
        somewhere as definitive evidence for Q.

        Best Wishes,

        Ken

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
          On 1 Apr 2003, at 14:16, Ken Olson wrote:

          > Very funny. I'm just afraid this is going to show up on a web site
          > somewhere as definitive evidence for Q.

          I must admit that my heart did skip a beat when I saw the subject
          line! What Ken suggests does indeed happen. One of the urban
          legends that is fascinating to trace the development of is the one
          about the Harry Potter books promoting a rise in Satanism among
          the young, widespread in many Christian circles but originating in a
          satirical piece in The Onion.

          By the way, I've recently suffered a major computer crash and have
          lost a good deal of recent correspondence, i.e. all unanswered
          emails from mid February to the present. If you are awaiting an
          answer to an email from me, I would be very grateful if you could
          resend it -- with apologies.

          Mark

          ------------------
          Dr Mark Goodacre
          Dept of Theology
          University of Birmingham
          Birmingham B15 2TT UK

          http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
          http://NTGateway.com

        • Horace Jeffery Hodges
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
            On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 14:07:42 -0500 (EST), Stephen C.
            Carlson wrote:

            <I came across the following news item. If true, this
            is pretty exciting stuff!>

            Since it posted here on April 2, 2003 (due to the
            International Date Line), I am compelled to take the
            report seriously.

            In fact, I heard a rumor that this Q document was
            actually found pasted onto the back of a plaque from
            Solomon's Temple and lying in the James ossuary.

            Experts are indeed skeptical and note that "Q" can
            also stand for "Questionable."

            Jeffery Hodges

            =====
            447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City
            Yangsandong 411
            South Korea

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
              You mean I should not have forwarded this to my whole mailing list?

              ;-)

              Dave Gentile

              On April Fool's Day, Stephen Carlson wrote:

              > Dear list,
              >
              > I came across the following news item. If true, this
              > is pretty exciting stuff!
              >
              > Stephen Carlson

              Stephen,

              Very funny. I'm just afraid this is going to show up on a web site
              somewhere as definitive evidence for Q.

              Best Wishes,

              Ken

            • Jim West
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
                Interesting, isn't it, that this particular thread has generated more
                discussion and comment than most serious ones. Titillation is always more
                fun than truth, even among academics.

                Best

                jim

                +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                Jim West, ThD

                Biblical Studies Resources
                http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

              • Jeffrey B. Gibson
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
                  "Stephen C. Carlson" wrote:

                  > Dear list,
                  >
                  > I came across the following news item. If true, this
                  > is pretty exciting stuff!
                  >
                  > Stephen Carlson

                  Yes, and I've seen a follow up in the World News that notes not only
                  that a
                  librarian in New Jersey has declared it inauthentic (after consulting
                  the
                  works of an Irish monk), while a relative of the director of _Three
                  Women_
                  has found evidence of five hands in its composition, and a Canadian
                  biblical
                  scholar specializing in obscure Medieval Diatessaronic witnesses and
                  translations of OS MSS has claimed that it confirms that the Peepshow
                  Gospel
                  was the text from which the canonical Gospels arose.

                  Yours,

                  Jeffrey Gibson--

                  Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

                  1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1