Re: [Synoptic-L] A pleasing literary arrangement?

  • Ron Price
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 17, 2003
      Leonard Maluf wrote:

      >Ron, I was making a purely logical point, to which I do not believe you
      >have responded. If the "evidence" you cite from Brown that the Logia of
      >Papias, on the basis of the meaning of the term syntassein, could refer to
      >a text with "a persuasive or *pleasing literary arrangement* or even to a
      >fuller account" amounts to saying that sQ as you define it could qualify,
      >this is not really the same as saying that Brown's quote "supports" your
      >identification of sQ with the Logia.

      Leonard,

      Let's say that it provides a measure of support. For a document which
      has a pleasing literary arrangement is *more likely* to match Papias'
      description than a document which does not have such an arrangement.

      >Also, remind me: do you see sQ and/or the Logia of Papias as possibly to be
      >identified with the Hebrew Matt of tradition?

      I suppose it's possible that someone in the tradition misunderstood
      Papias' statement about TA LOGIA, thinking it referred to Matthew's
      gospel. If this was so, then there is a link, though no identity.
      Even R.E.Brown concedes that Matthew's gospel was originally written
      in Greek. But interestingly he wrote that we shouldn't too facilely
      dismiss Papias' statement as complete fiction or ignorance. Sadly, many
      modern scholars seem to have done just that. Thus e.g. Kloppenborg
      wrote: "The origin of the speculation, Papias' statement about Matthew,
      is legendary at best" (_Excavating Q_, p.80). The only evidence
      Kloppenborg appears to provide for this slur is that Papias' statement
      does not fit his deductions from the Two Source Theory. He is thus using
      a questionable theory to dismiss a crucial piece of evidence. Need I say
      more?

      Ron Price

      Derbyshire, UK

      e-mail: ron.price@...