Re: [Synoptic-L] GTh 19b and the Synoptics

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2003
      --- "John C. Poirier" <poirier@...> wrote:
      > John,
      >
      > There's a lot in your message that I don't
      > understand.
      >
      > First, are you saying that the author of GTh 19b
      > thinks that Jesus'
      > words are energized by daimons/demons?

      Hi John:

      No. The author of GTh is an Epicuran who did not
      believe in spirits, but rather, borrows the idea in
      order to poke jest at it. The inuendo of Jesus being
      possessed by Beelzebub was to play into the hands of
      those who did believe in spirits so that they could
      argue Jesus was possessed by him.

      > Second, what is the exegetical basis for supposing
      > that the verse is
      > about daimons/demons? Is it just because the idea
      > of animated stones is
      > scandalous?

      The basis of the exegesis on GTh is on the Jewish
      assimilation of the concept of diamon into their
      theology, something well attested to and written
      about. See, for example, John L. McKenzie, SJ,
      "Demons, Demonolgy" 3. ff in Dictionary of the Bible
      (NY, London, 1965):193-4.

      > Third, since the Jewish and Christian version of
      > this platonic gesture
      > employed angels (as mediators of prayers and
      > prophecy) rather than the
      > daimons of Plato, wouldn't it make sense to suppose
      > that GThomas would
      > think in these terms as well?

      No, since they were Epicurean Saddukaioi = Tzaddikim =
      �the upright or righteous men� the chief Kohanim in
      the Jerusalem Temple.
      The second oracle of Habakkuk (c. 597 BC) A TZADDIK
      shall live by his faith, (Habakkuk 2:4). Tzaddik [also
      spelled tsaddik or tsaddiq] is both and adjective
      (righteous) and a noun (one who is just).

      They did not believe in spirits and as I have said
      used this a ploy to assert ridicule and instigate
      support from those who did believe in spirits that
      Jesus was possessed.

      Best regards,
      John

      =====