Re: Goulder and Luke's Use of Mk

  • Jim Deardorff
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 7, 1998
      At 09:25 AM 9/7/98 GMT, Mark Goodacre wrote:

      >> LEONARD: Why so? Why does Matt have an advantage when the three Syn Gospels
      >> are present that it didn't have when only Matt and Mk were present (i.e., at
      >> the time of Luke's writing)? If anything, I would think Matt's importance
      >> might begin to diminish at this point, at least in the Gentile world which is
      >> more catered to by Lk and Mk.

      >The point is simply that Luke will have known Mark for longer than he has
      known
      >Matthew. This possibility accounts for the look of Luke's Gospel. But his
      >situation is in many ways unique because within a generation people were
      >familiar with all three synoptics and rarely only with one of the three.

      It's good to keep alternative explanations in mind here. With ALk greatly
      preferring Mark over Matthew, that possibility easily accounts for the look
      of Luke. The later translation of Hebraic Mt into Greek further accounts for
      the lengthy strings of verbal identities between Mt and Lk's double tradition.

      Jim Deardorff
      Corvallis, Oregon
      E-mail: deardorj@...