[Synoptic-L] On Fasting

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20 7:17 PM
      In a message dated 2/20/2003 2:56:00 PM Pacific Standard Time, Maluflen@... writes:

      You're right here, of course, and I don't know when the Friday fast began either. Perhaps someone else on the list will supply some information on this point.

      Well, I could give this a try myself, I guess. There is a reference to fasting on Wednesdays and Fridays in the Didache, chapter 8: hUMEIS DE NHSTEUSATE TETRADA KAI PARASKEUHN. So I guess this takes us back into the late first century, which is earlier enough to reasonably assume Friday fasting as an ongoing practice in the Markan community.

      Dr. Leonard J. Maluf
      Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
      Weston, MA 02493
      Home phone: 617-926-2387